Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling questions in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

P

pipeline

evening men.. im new on the forum and want to become a Tiler... im a plasterer by trade and recently broke my arm after falling of my stilts, im back on the stilts, but cant see myself doing it forever so want to branch out a little, so im not cripple when im older,, anyway.

could some explain to me the difference between modified and un-modified tile adhesive... I thought the difference was a cement based adhesive, being flexible and non flexible..?

also ive been looking at weight limits with tiling on different surfaces.. whats the deal with tiling on to dot & dabbed plaster board walls in a bathroom.. is it possible or should they be removed?

thanks men

Q

Qwerty

I'm surprised nobody has replied to your post yet.

Modified adhesives essentially have advanced polymers in them and are often referred to as thin set mortar.
Polymer modification of adhesives offers improvements including easier handling, increased tensile and flexural strength, enhanced adhesive characteristics, improved water resistance and greater durability. It also tends to prolong the hydration period, giving increased density and shear strength, extending the working time and, of particular importance with grouts, promoting colour uniformity in the end product. A key benefit is increased water resistance. Adding latex to a typical grout will reduce water absorption to around 3% to 5%, compared with a range of 10% to 20% for the standard product. The advantages are easier maintenance, increased durability and greater resistance to the potential damage from freezing and thawing cycles.

I need a cuppa now!

Oh, and to answer your question on d&d plasterboard.... It is fine to tile onto so long as all well fixed, flat and free from dust, paint etc

Reply to Tiling questions in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen