Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling onto plywood in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Daz

I read some posts earlier regarding tiling onto plywood.

I did a job just over a year ago. When I looked at it I advised that the 12mm wbp plywood was not a satisfactory substrate. The customers builder argued that it was and that he had been building bathroom & wetroom walls like it for years with no issues. We eventually reached a compromise where I had to tank the walls with a membrane (I used Porcelanosa Imperband) first.

The back wall area is 2.4m across, and the tiles were 930 x 330mm. I used Mapei Keraquick to fix the membrane & Mapei Keraflex to fix the tiles.
The pics below show a vertical crack that runs from top to bottom right down the centre of the wall, i.e. where the two plywood panels meet.

IMG_0819.jpg IMG_0817.jpg IMG_0818.jpg

I explained the issues with regards to thermal expansion caused by rapid heating and high humidity in wetrooms, but the builder knew best :lol:. I now have to strip everything out and build the walls correctly using a tile backer board, then re-tile all at the builders expense.

I hope the above helps illustrate why plywood is not a suitable tile substrate for high humidity areas.

Daz

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Stewart

I hope it costs the builder an absolute fortune to re-place and do the work with a big knowing smile on your face......

H

hillhead

Plywood is a disaster to tile on.
Some builders still think it's best in showers :mad2:

G

Gazzer

This was a job I had to repair recently. The tiling was only weeks old before the tiles all cracked along the line of the join in ply.
split ply.jpg

flaggy

TF
Reaction score
i dont even bother doing the work anymore its more hastle than anything ,i just say you will after get somebody else to do the work

F

flatstones

hi. i would not have took the job on. that was a problem waiting to happen? as a tiler sorry to all carpenters but me and plywood will never get on

G

Gazebo

Great example thanks for posting it.

I hope the builder has learnt his lesson albeit the hard way.. hey ho now he knows he might start listening to tradesmens advice.

Reply to Tiling onto plywood in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen