Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling onto chipboard? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

weirdfish

Am I right in thinking that it's not advisable to tile directly onto chipboard, this is in the en-suite, and it looks like the water resistant type, ( slightly green in colour ).
The old tiles were stuck onto thin ply, but I had to take that up due to the amount of adhesive that was left on it, I suppose that might be giving me my answer, but just thought I'd ask in case things were different now, especially with new products.
The other reason is that we want to put down slightly thicker tiles, and it would create a very slight step if ply is required.

O

Old Mod

If u have room, glue and screw 6mm Hardibacker, simplist solution.
Prime floor, follow adhesive manufacturers recommendation
Stick down with same adhesive as you're going to use on floor.
Overlap joints beneath. Stagger joints on Hardie. Screw down and countersink screw heads.
Don't use Hardie screws, something like Turbo gold screws from screwfix.
Tape Hardie joints with a scrim tape, cover tape with tight skim of tile adhesive.

Reply to Tiling onto chipboard? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen