Currently reading:
Tiling onto backing plaster, skim coat, or strip back and board?

Discuss Tiling onto backing plaster, skim coat, or strip back and board? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

OllieM

-
UK
Hi all, first post here - total novice in need of advice.
I’m retiling a shower room and removing the old tiles has taken the smooth plaster surface with them leaving what I assume is backing plaster. This is sound and level other than a few gouges. This wall is the opposite end to the shower so not directly in contact with water but am planning to tank it to be safe.
Question is can I tile onto this plaster or do I need to either remove it and cement board or skim coat first? If I need to skim, how long does this need to dry before I can tile it?
Attached are pictures of the wall in question, the top half will be tiled, the bottom half will be built out into a ledge box section and that tiled. Cheers.

Attachments

• FC301DDC-732C-43EC-9E39-ED822EEFBB7A.jpeg
    307 KB · Views: 35
  • CA115948-9010-46EF-9E02-B48E022309D0.jpeg
    430 KB · Views: 23
  • 1E47D9C2-A744-4423-8BD1-4DCB39D14388.jpeg
    430 KB · Views: 22
  • 33E56C3B-589C-4EB8-8778-A554223DE750.jpeg
    307 KB · Views: 24

Reply to Tiling onto backing plaster, skim coat, or strip back and board? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm planning to tile my kitchen floor with 8mm porcelain floor tiles (660x440mm). My kitchen floor is...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement