Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling on tiles-a bit over max weight in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

MTiler

Hi

Im supposed to be doing a job next week where two of the walls (bathroom) are tiled and the customer doesnt want to take them off.
The existing tiles are bog standard thin ceramic tiles on plasterboard but the new tiles to be fixed are 400x400 x10 ceramic tiles.
After getting the customer to check their weight, as I was a bit concerned, it was found that a m2 of the tiles weighed 17kilos making them 1kilo over the 16kilos max weight for tile on tile.

Thats not including the weight of the adhesive (Instarmac - broken link removed )

Is even just 1 kilo over a definate no no, and tempting fate, or is it a guideline so people dont go mad?

The customer suggested contacting the adhesive company but even if its fine to hold onto the tiles that doesnt mean the existing tiles are going to hold surely.

cheers for your help

MissyT

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

Hi Missy t....

This is all down to the existing tiles....Can you be sure enough they will support the weight of the new ones..that's the main concern here..you can tile on tiles no probs but that format you are going to be using to me is just a big NO NO...
My advise is to start a fresh ...then you can guarantee it will be ok..otherwise it is just pot luck that the existing ones are solid.......let us know how it goes....

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the 16KG includes the adhesive - but is half of the 32kg the plasterboard can take total. Assuming your existing tiles are about 12kg, your new tiles could be 20kg (including adhesive) providing the adhesive can hold the 17kg tile.

If the adhesive wont hold, go to BAL ;) they'll have one that will.

wayne

TF
Reaction score
the adhesive will hold fine. fantastic gear but goes off really quick. try and get the ultra pro sp-es if you can

M

MTiler

Cheers peeps

The adhesive I dont have a problem with (bought by customer), its whether the existing tiles can hold.

missy T

D

DHTiling

That's the big question Missy.t.

I wouldnt if i was you with that size tile....tell your customer to come on here we set them straight..:lol: :lol: :lol: .....only joking....honestly you will be border line on the weight issue....IMO...

G

GazTech

Insist on removing the old tiles Missy....Large tiles like these could cause untold damage and even serious injury......Gaz

S

Saltire69

Had the same problem Missy recently with a customer. Told them they had 3 options. Let me remove old tiles,Change tiles or get a new tiler to do the job. I didn't want to risk it. They had 2 young kids and i just explained the dangers involved if a tile was to fall off when there kids were in the bath. They changed the tiles eventually

M

MTiler

The existing tiles are going to be removed. I told the customer it was too much of a risk and they could cause alot of damage if they fall off. Its only two walls so could be worse.

cheers
MissyT

Reply to Tiling on tiles-a bit over max weight in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen