Search the forum,

Discuss tiling on chipboard in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

goodenough

hi a customer asked me to tile her kitchen floor its about 20m2 and has a chipboard floor onto joists, as this is my first time doing this type of floor was wondering would i be better off laying plywood onto the chipboard first , its not a new build, but the chipboard is in good condition cant be sure if it was primed when it was layed and was going to use bal flexi set adhesive and grout the tiles are 330*330mm ceramic Thanks for any help

G

grumpygrouter

The thing to be considering is if the floor is strong enough without overboarding. 20m2 is reasonably large and would probably benefit from strengthening with 18mm ply.

As we can't see what you can see though it would be your call. If you lay 18mm ply, on top of the chipboard screwed to the joists a t 300mm centres and you overboard with the ply across the chipboard direction and screw this through into the chipboard surface then you can get away with single part flexible adhesive. You will need to seal the back face and edges with BAL Bond SBR first before laying.

if you are not going to overboard the you will need to use something like BAL Fastflex which is a 2 part adhesive or Ardex 7001. Which every way you go , always check out the adhesive manufcturers instuctions BEFORE you lay your ply as they can differ with regards to sealing/priming.

C

cjbombero

With a floor that size I would ply the floor. As Grouters has already mentioned going straight onto chipboard will require a highly flexible adhesive like BAL Fastflex. The cost implications are massive, depending on you supplyer you wont get Fastflex much cheeper than £40 for both parts (powder & liquid) This only covers approx 3 sq m of floor! You also need a solid bed tipped trowel (another £15)

Take grouters advice, board the floor out. It will be cheaper, easier and faster.

cjbombero

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Be tempted to 12mm hardibacker it myself........glued and screwed. Then flexi cement/grout

N

newbie2

You will need to seal the back face and edges with BAL Bond SBR first before laying.

Grumpy, Can explain why this is necessary? Does it help with the adhesion of the overboarding, or is it to ensure that the overboard is waterproof?
Does the top face also require a coating of SBR before tiling?

Thanks,
Steve

D

DHTiling

The sbr helps with the moisture resistance of the ply.....and no you do not seal the face of the ply when using BAL adhesives.....:thumbsup:

Reply to tiling on chipboard in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen