Discuss Tiling inventions that changed the world in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
I used to work in a tile shop in the the 1980s and we were given an ultrasound tile cutter to review/demonstrate.
Could of be given by Trimline when they used operate from an old post office sorting office in Forest Hill ??
It looked like one of those electric grout removal tools with a carbide tip
I must admit that it did not work that well as it claim was to cut curvy lines in tiles. ( Will ask next time in shop if he still has it because he still has tile stocks from the 80s)
I just wondered what became of this innovative idea
So i did some Googling and

"Dr Young’s innovative device for cutting ceramic tiles incorporating an ultrasonically-vibrating tungsten carbide tip. An orthopaedic surgeon who saw the tile-cutter being demonstrated on BBC’s Tomorrow's World in 1988 , called the company to see if the same technology could be harnessed for removing bone cement from revision hip replacements. Patent applications were quickly filed, and this groundbreaking technology known as OSCAR, was put to use in the form of the LOTUS ultrasonic scalpel."
:D

Reaction score
Yep halfway down Devonshire Road

103_2119.0.jpg

I remember the post office Looked like a horror movie in there

Last edited:
B

Bill

I used a Sonic tool to remove broken tiles grouted with epoxy in pools and also in food prep areas. Worked OK for me.

Skehoe

-
Reaction score
I used to work in a tile shop in the the 1980s and we were given an ultrasound tile cutter to review/demonstrate.
Could of be given by Trimline when they used operate from an old post office sorting office in Forest Hill ??
I must admit that it did not work that well as it claim was to cut curvy lines in tiles. ( Will ask next time in shop if he still has it because he still has tile stocks from the 80s)

"Dr Young’s innovative device for cutting ceramic tiles incorporating an ultrasonically-vibrating tungsten carbide tip. An orthopaedic surgeon who saw the tile-cutter being demonstrated on BBC’s Tomorrow's World in 1988 , called the company to see if the same technology could be harnessed for removing bone cement from revision hip replacements. Patent applications were quickly filed, and this groundbreaking technology known as OSCAR, was put to use in the form of the LOTUS ultrasonic scalpel."

Skehoe

-
Reaction score

I remember seeing the tile cutter on Tomorrows World. It won the Prince of Wales award for innovation. Prince Charles used it to cut a piece of tile to complete the fleur-de-lis. It looked amazing and would be the only tile cutter you’d ever need. I read somewhere on the internet a few years ago, that the inventor sold the Patent and bought a wildlife reserve in Zimbabwe.

Lou

Admin
Staff member
Esteemed
Reaction score
Great video!! I have seen a lot of old Tomorrow's Worlds and I always find it so interesting when what they show is in every day life now. I am sure I saw one with an automatic door on.

Reply to Tiling inventions that changed the world in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks