Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling internal corners in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

Colour Republic

If he is prepared to rectify it and not walk away from the job as lots of others would/have then lets give the guy some credit.

He may not have done it the correct way but we all have to start somewhere!

Spongebob if you can take a picture it would help, you will need to resize it to get it on the forum or use a different method like facebook.

I know i'm being grumpy and you're right he does deserve some credit for offering to do it all over again, but I know I wouldn't have tackled a shower before I was sure it would stand up

S

SandyFloor

He has left the chrome trim taped up to dry. He says if I am not happy he will re-do the whole shower. I feel bad about this, because he is such a nice guy, and has done other work for me with no problems. How can I tell him he should use silicone on the corners without peeing him off??

If it's only a shower I wouldn't hesitate have it redone. The fact is showers are really prone to leaking if not finished properly and one of the main areas of leakage is the corner. As there is movement in walls the grout in the corners will crack (even flexible grout) and that is why the corners need silicone as it is very flexible. The water will then leak under the shower and rot your subfloor, joists and travel into the walls causing mildew which will cause your tiles to fall off anyway. A little water can really cause a lot of damage. You also need to ensure there is a silicone joint between the tiles and the shower tray for the same reasons.

Sorry to give you bad news but showers really need to be finished right.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Should the tiles start in the middle and then work outwards, or should the centre line be in the middle [as mine are]?

Hi spongebob, in general tiling terms it is always good practice to centre every wall, if poss (not always poss) but if you centre a wall and it gives you half inch cuts. Then you centre your tile, over the centre line. This gives you acceptable cuts either side. Hope this makes sense:thumbsup: if not PM me and I will try to explain in more detail. :thumbsup:

D

Daz

Hi spongebob, in general tiling terms it is always good practice to centre every wall, if poss (not always poss) but if you centre a wall and it gives you half inch cuts. Then you centre your tile, over the centre line. This gives you acceptable cuts either side. Hope this makes sense:thumbsup: if not PM me and I will try to explain in more detail. :thumbsup:

Phil, I bow to your experience and the proven quality of your work. However, I do question the "good practice" element of your advice.

I would usually choose a main focal point and centre around that. I would then check every other wall with a view to carrying the illusion of a full tile around every internal and external corner and shift left / right to get that look taking into account all other items that could affect the cuts. Does that make sense?

S

SandyFloor

The folded tile look is the way I was taught and practice (not that I do many bathrooms anymore). Another one is no tile cut should be any less than 20% of it's uncut size.

I don't think there are any hard and fast rules. What I always do is set out the entire room or floor and try to balance it off as well as possible avoiding silly little cuts. For example I might offset the centre line of a bathroom so the grout line or centre of tile line up with a WC or basin as long as it doesnt knock the ballance of the rest of the job too much.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Phil, I bow to your experience and the proven quality of your work. However, I do question the "good practice" element of your advice.

I would usually choose a main focal point and centre around that. I would then check every other wall with a view to carrying the illusion of a full tile around every internal and external corner and shift left / right to get that look taking into account all other items that could affect the cuts. Does that make sense?

It makes perfect sense Daz, I know what you are saying. Main focal point, usually the window should take priority, but in my experience no two jobs are the same. In theory though, centred walls are correct. Unless using brick-bond, then I would recommend wrap around effect.:thumbsup:

Reply to Tiling internal corners in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.