Search the forum,

Discuss tiling chipboard in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hi all, i went to look at a job today only to find the customer has sheeted the floor with chipboard and all the shower walls with chipboard,,as far as im aware i shouldnt be tiling onto this ,,although after i said this to him he said the shop he bought it from told him it was fine for water areas and he also done a bathroom up stairs in the house 10 years ago with chipboard and the tiles are fine....is there a chipboard out there thats suitable to tile onto i dont know about????:thumbsup:

G

grumpygrouter

I wouldn't on walls. Floors generally it is over boarded or protected in some way, though there are adhesives you can use if the floor is solid and not subject to atmospheric changes....but bathroom walls:whatchutalkingabout

P

Perry

hi all, i went to look at a job today only to find the customer has sheeted the floor with chipboard and all the shower walls with chipboard,,as far as im aware i shouldnt be tiling onto this ,,although after i said this to him he said the shop he bought it from told him it was fine for water areas and he also done a bathroom up stairs in the house 10 years ago with chipboard and the tiles are fine....is there a chipboard out there thats suitable to tile onto i dont know about????:thumbsup:
would it be easy to overboard it with plasterboard :pete

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
its a small showerroom with no ventilation either,,hence plenty steam etc,,i told him i wouldnt tile onto that surface and advised him to change it to ply/backerboard and tank the walls at least anyways i was just wondering if there was a suitable type of chipboard out there for bathrooms and tiling.clearly not lol:thumbsup::thumbsup::lol:

A

AllurePTS

I've never seen chipboard walls in a bathroom !! ..that's mad :lol: ....maybe advise him against it but do the job if he wants to sign a disclaimer for it ???

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
you know what would happen if anything went wrong with the tiling even if i did do it,,hed blame the tiler not the substrate..i advised him best i could i shall wait and see the outcome:lol::lol:

A

AllurePTS

Fair enough .....would you always turn it down though guys ??? ....you know some people are always adamant that they know best and won't be told otherwise :mad2:

Reply to tiling chipboard in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen