Search the forum,

Discuss tiling around bath / bath panel in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

Fizz_bosh

Hello All :)

I have a bath to be plumbed in & tiled around (I have constructed a frame, timber & aqua panel, to support tiles and bath), I want the tiles to sit just under the rim of the bath so you cant see the cuts. The tiles will be around 3 edges of the bath, a tiled shelf along one side, and a tiled bath panel. (provision for concealed access has been made).
The taps are in the middle & need to be plumbed in, as does the waste. Should the bath be plumed in first and fixed in position? In which case how would the tiler get the tiles under the rim of the bath? Or do I get part of the tiling done, then get the plumber round to plumb bath, then tiler can finish...
I'm scratching my head here, just wondered if you guys knew which way round to do things?

M

Muse2k8

Get the bath in nice and secure first then tile up to the bath leaving a small gap to silicone.

It then depends on your bath panel but I would put panel in first and tile up to it. Again use silicone to finish.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Are the taps in the middle of the bath on the wall side?

F

Fizz_bosh

Hi Guys, thanks for the input :)
Yes john, taps in the middle on the wall side.
I was hoping to have the tiles layed just under the rim of the bath so it looked a bit 'sunk in' rather than the tiles butting up to the bath.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Guys, thanks for the input :)
Yes john, taps in the middle on the wall side.
I was hoping to have the tiles layed just under the rim of the bath so it looked a bit 'sunk in' rather than the tiles butting up to the bath.

Sorry just seen in your first post that taps are in middle - In that case get the bath fixed in situ and when the frame is constructed allow for additional thickness of tile and addy to just butt up to the bath leaving a gap,just below rim of bath. Finish with silicon

Last edited:
F

Fizz_bosh

OK John, so sliding the tile under the lip of the bath is easy enough? I'd thought about it, but worried adhesive would slide off the tile. would you allow 2-3mm?
(limestone tiles, 12mm thick 400x400)
cheers.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
OK John, so sliding the tile under the lip of the bath is easy enough? I'd thought about it, but worried adhesive would slide off the tile. would you allow 2-3mm?
(limestone tiles, 12mm thick 400x400)
cheers.

If sliding tile underneath lip of bath leave 2mm gap, or if butting tile up to bath, if you want the bath to appear sunken, then again leave a 2mm gap and finish both options with silicon. Either way always leave a gap to finish off.

Reply to tiling around bath / bath panel in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen