Search the forum,

Discuss thoughts on Dural? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
hi guys

I was wondering if you guys could enlighten me somewhat..

Comparison of Ditra (schluter) or CI durabase matt ( Dural)
Durabase CI ++ by Dural Vs DITRA Installation Instructions - Schluter-Systems
ino Lee @ Tile town supplies it, so it must be good ;)

Whats your thoughts on the two in comparison?
Also, could you give me a indication on the adhesive (spf) used per m2 roughly?

I am quoted £8.99 per m2 from my supplier by the way,

Thanks in advance guys

O

One Day

All I know is one has had multiple expensive failures in the past (although now resolved I believe).
I've only used it once years back and found it stiff and awkward. If it's improved I'm not in a position to criticise unfairly.

The other (Orange one) has no such confidence issues. That's the one I use. Had no problems with it so I can recommend with confidence.

O

Old Mod

Well I've been using Durabase for a while now over Ditra, although my heart did miss a best when [MENTION=16192]Phil Hobson[/MENTION] told me during a phone call that they had had massive failures in the past. Those issues have been resolved, he assured me of that. Which is a good job as I've done a couple of 100m2 floors plus countless bathroom floors "gulp!"
You can see an example in my post 'another loft' in the Tilers Work forum.
Yes granted it's a little less flexible than Ditra, but I like it for 3 reasons.

1; The mesh on top appears to help the tile bond to the mat better. (Had to remove a 700x500 piece of limestone from it once after someone had kicked the stone after I had left for the day and when I tried to replace it the next morning it came up in pieces the size of a 50p piece. It was almost impossible, took an hour to get it off completely. Wasn't much left of the mat tho and it wasn't even grouted)
2; it seems to use less adhesive because pockets appear a little less shallow, although I've not done a close up comparison test between the two!
3; and most importantly, you can buy a complete roll from CTD for the same as the top darts score incl VAT Haha

Can't be specific about adhesive consumption I'm afraid, I've never got around to doing a real study on it. Seems to be more economical than ditra and definitely better if you back fill it and let it dry before tiling. I can't see how tho haha should be just the same shouldn't it?

Reaction score
Well I've been using Durabase for a while now over Ditra, although my heart did miss a best when [MENTION=36659]Phil[/MENTION]l Hobson told me during a phone call that they had had massive failures in the past. Those issues have been resolved, he assured me of that. Which is a good job as I've done a couple of 100m2 floors plus countless bathroom floors "gulp!"
You can see an example in my post 'another loft' in the Tilers Work forum.
Yes granted it's a little less flexible than Ditra, but I like it for 3 reasons.

1; The mesh on top appears to help the tile bond to the mat better. (Had to remove a 700x500 piece of limestone from it once after someone had kicked the stone after I had left for the day and when I tried to replace it the next morning it came up in pieces the size of a 50p piece. It was almost impossible, took an hour to get it off completely. Wasn't much left of the mat tho and it wasn't even grouted)
2; it seems to use less adhesive because pockets appear a little less shallow, although I've not done a close up comparison test between the two!
3; and most importantly, you can buy a complete roll from CTD for the same as the top darts score incl VAT Haha

Can't be specific about adhesive consumption I'm afraid, I've never got around to doing a real study on it. Seems to be more economical than ditra and definitely better if you back fill it and let it dry before tiling. I can't see how tho haha should be just the same shouldn't it?

I calculate 8 m2 per 20kg bag of addy.

I can get a roll of ditra off walls and floors for. £9 per m2.
I can get the Dural for £8.99 per m2 from my supplier... So can't complain on price.

J

jonnyc

Dural has had failures in the past and I have experienced one myself but thankfully client has not had me rectify.
that problem apart from personal experience I have always gone for ditra only because I have used for so long..
I think ditra isa bit more flexible than dural.
but interestingly there are differences between the two if you have a job that is a little bit different than the norm and also regarding electric underfloor heating.
with dural you can lay heat cables directly on top of dural mat as shown in Marc photos( I have been waiting for someone to say this is wrong!. It is not I believe .))and it is guaranteed with all other fixing practices being followed.
with ditra you are meant to have a 4mm covering of adhesive or latex between the top of heat cable and underside of mat or bottom of heat cable and top of mat.
This fact is only important if you have height problems or trying be cost effective and then dural better option if you pay same for dural as ditra.
other factor for me is when I fix reclaimed old floors . With ditra you can fix a stone as thick as you like but max 10 mm bed to be guaranteed.
with dural can have a stone of say 10mm to 100mm thick and also an adhesive bed over 10mm and guaranteed.
just my luck that the only time I used dural on a reclaimed floor it was the dodgy batch about 3 years ago .
this would not put me off in future if I need a very thick bed for setting reclaimed stone of uneven thickness.

Reaction score
I'vre used both with no issues, old and new formula, I used to use the old dural a lot down to pricing issues, but as others have said, the ditra is softer and I used to find the old dural would curl up at the edges and be hard to keep down, but not so much on the new one with the square studs, so in a nutshell not a lot of difference between them under normal tiling circumstances.

Reaction score
To lay and backfill? Might be bit optimistic, I'd make sure u have an extra bag to hand for any short fall. Just a thought.

I have allowed for a extra bag. 8m2 shouldn't be far off with a 4x4 trowel out of a 20 bag for laying the matting.

Will also have the tiles adhesive allowance onsite which could be a safety net :)

J

jonnyc

other point i forgot to mention us that according to dural tech department you are are supposed to make sure that the voids under the hessian are completely filled so that means you are likely to use the same amount of adhesive with ditra or dural

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to thoughts on Dural? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen