Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss The less glamorous side to fitting ex large formats. in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

slythetiler

Looks an immense job, but i'm curious as to the material used for the walls with regards to load bearing?

O

Old Mod

All the walls were plastered, badly I might add, but thin tile still comes within weight limits of plaster. Some of the shower area was boarded out with Wedi.

O

Old Mod

Cheers Adam, it’s coming on, just have to resin the mitres and it’s done.

DE5E20E8-0B64-4D77-B051-7EAA23E18F22.jpeg B474E239-9505-42F1-891C-57BAEC09DE88.jpeg 04F08117-BF62-41F1-8C2D-B703908376C7.jpeg A4B40F74-9673-4861-8034-2750C54D3D21.jpeg 5ED9E0F2-8E1F-4191-8D5B-66621D5956E4.jpeg F5BF1BB4-3E1B-43FA-ABF9-B74C3BB11EEC.jpeg

W

Waluigi

how The hell can you do a job like that when someone else has prepped the walls (badly) ?

O

Old Mod

how The hell can you do a job like that when someone else has prepped the walls (badly) ?
You have to make them fit to tile. Don’t always have the luxury of saying do it again. Sometimes you have to cope, just like any other job.
Depends at what stage you first get consulted.
If they’re switched on, it’s early.
If they’ve never even seen them before, it’s when it’s generally too late. So you have to deal with it. Doesn’t mean it’s free tho. :)

W

Waluigi

I bet you’d prefer to do all the prep work yourself!

Having to work with someone else’s version of Plumb must make your blood boil:anguished:

My limit is 1200 x 600mm, especially if mitring. I’m just a Plumber after all:tearsofjoy:

O

Old Mod

I bet you’d prefer to do all the prep work yourself!

Having to work with someone else’s version of Plumb must make your blood boil:anguished:

:D Maybe.
Had external angles 18mm out of plumb and flat walls 28mm.
Flat walls are not so much of a problem unless you’re wrapping a pattern around the internal corner.
If theyre not plumb it’s impossible to get a proper wrap.
If it falls away for example by 10mm, you then have to cut the same 10mm off the bottom of the wrapped piece, that then throws out the design.

W

Waluigi

I was thinking about that the other day. Bad enough contending with mitres but when you’re wrapping veins around a wall it must be a whole new dimension in things to think about.

I can also imagine that even with the best will in the world and a ridiculous amount of thought and planning, things come up that you didn’t even consider.

Anyway, it’s great to see the stuff posted. It’s not for me but I fully appreciate what you’re doing and have a very tiny indication of how difficult and above all time consuming it must be.

Reply to The less glamorous side to fitting ex large formats. in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks