Search the forum,

Discuss Swimming pool work in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
i have just completed some repair work on a very small local pool that was very badly tiled by someone or persons unknown to me , anyway i was asked to have a look ! , upon my investigations i could tell that the pool was suffering badly from calcification, because the rendering /tiling installers had ether used the wrong materials and practice , or to make the job cheaper had skimped on them,.
The waterproofing of pools serves not only the intended function of making the pool watertight. Waterproofing materials are flexible and as an applied layer between the render and the tiling the membrane serves as an effective anti-fracture membrane by isolating the mosaic work from the substrate . This way hairline cracks which can appear during the life of the pool are contained behind the membrane ensuring the integrity of the mosaic work and keeping the pool watertight.
Another advantage of waterproofing is that it can significantly reduce the incidence of calcification ! ,calcification is an often misunderstood phenomenon which occurs chiefly as a result of unbalanced water, water has been described as behaving like an autonomous organism because it is always trying to balance itself. when pool water is low in calcium it looks for any source it can get it from.
Cement grouts, adhesives,render and even concrete are all rich in calcium hydroxide. calcium hydroxide is the binder which holds cement products together. when the calcium hungry water sucks the calcium from these products , not only do unsightly white deposits appear on the surface of mosaics, but the integrity of these materials are compromised because the binder holding these materials together is being stripped away. by applying a waterproofing membrane the render and concrete are isolated from this calcification process at least !, then if epoxy adhesive is used in the mosaic joints you have a foolproof system !
I have cut out and replaced tile,grout,screed, in the most badly affected places , the swimming pool company will re-address the pool chemistry ! there are a few pictures, also some pictures of the diabolical tile work by others !!!!

Reply to Swimming pool work in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen