Search the forum,

Discuss stopping business in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

charlie1

Hi all, what's the best way of stopping doing business with someone, i don't want to burn any bridges as i sincerely hope they can learn there lessons and maybe we could do business in future.

i do all this bathroom companies tiling for a few months and really like the guys but i have notticed over this time there prep work has deteriorated and there expertise is very questionable. Turned up to do a job for them a few weeks ago and all the plasterboard has started to debond, turns out, they have dot dabbed over old ceramic tiles instead removing (what they had told customer they would do) ... I told them and they said can you silicon it back on please (omg)... I told them id better not know what prep they plan on doing!!

what's worse is, I'm trying to educate the guy but he is just not willing to listen but in hoping in time he will learn

P

Pebbs

Umm Charlie, an exit talk is in order. Can you not take him down the pub and just put your cards on the table? I always suggest the pub or a cafe over breakfast because if you do this kind of talk on the phone, it can quickly escalate into a slagging match. Just tell him in a kind of nice way your just very disappointed in the recent changes in their working practices, and give him a friendly word of advice, which is you can get away with shoddy workmanship for so long and then it bites you in the bum!<br><br>Good luck, chin up and upwards and onwards.<br><br>Lynn&nbsp;

C

charlie1

Thanks peeps. I've just been weighing up the amount of work im getting from them against my standards falling. For instance, latest job, rectified 60 x30's in a shower area, one of the walls is off plumb be 20 out at the top, this wall will be an external corner where it meets another wall, i expressed my concern that to make the finish hood then i would need to tile them plumb... He was not interested because he did not understand what i was saying ( head banging off wall)

Brian the Tile

TF
Arms
Reaction score
sound to me like he is expecting and hoping that you will make things look good,maybe try and tell him if thats the case you will need to charge him more as it is taking you a lot longer and you are using more stuff on his jobs ,then when he tells you he cant pay you anymore ,then you tell him you are no longer able to do the work for him,then he might see where he is going wrong,dont let your standards slipto suit him,good luck

C

charlie1

Thanks for all advice, maybe a drink and chat is way to go with this guy. A hate letting my standards slip as I have been forced to on last couple of jobs, customers are still happy with work but I'm not and going like this it's only a matter of time before I get pulled.

M

Marksmithtiling

Offer to do the prep yourself = right first time more money :smilewinkgrin:

S

Stef

Charlie you need to have a talk with him asap, it's your reputation on the line not his.

Takes years to build up a good reputation & only a matter of weeks to lose it.

The client won't say, look at the state of the wall, they will say look at the state of the tiling..

C

charlie1

Offer to do the prep yourself = right first time more money :smilewinkgrin:

The problem is, he doesn't understand a word I'm saying regarding any of the problems, in his words "he thinks I'm making problems for myself" when I try to explain to him, he just does not comprehend what I'm saying. He is in the mindset of "just get it tiled and make good" ... To be fair to him, he has never had a problem with my finish but when the client has just had a new bathroom installed, it's going to look good and fresh even if the tiling is slightly bellow standard as they are more worried about the obvious things like if everything is working ok, a few months down the line is where average tiling becomes poor tiling as the customers begin to notice little things and by that time, they are hardly going to call the company back to complain but the will remember your average / poor tiling... This is the angle I'm becoming concerned about, I have my reputation to think of.

W

White Room

I've broke away many times from builders etc when I was plastering because of the state of the block work, don't sweat about it just move on.

Reply to stopping business in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen