Search the forum,

Discuss Stone Resin Tray - How to lay on cement / sand mix in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DazJWood

All,

I have created a timber 4 X 2 plinth to put my quadrant (1000 x 800) stone resin shower tray on. I have 18mm WBP ply on the top.

The manufacturer's instructions say to bed the tray into a sand and cement mix. I have a couple of questions regarding the best way to install this tray.

1) Should I treat the 18mm ply with PVA before I put my sand and cement mix on it? I seem to read conflicting stories on the use of PVA. Would it prevent the sand and cement mix adhering to the ply correctly? I've also read that PVA should be added to the mortar mix?

2) The stone resin tray is amazingly heavy and I have been trying to think how the best way of getting this tray on to the plinth once I have the sand and cement mix down. There is no obvious way I can think to lower the tray down vertically onto the platform (so as not to move the sand and cement mix) as there is little way of supporting the tray physically. If I get it 3/4 on and then slide it, it will just move all the sand and cement underneath. Has anyone any good recommendations for the best way to lower it down onto the plinth?

Thanks in advance,

Daz

J

jolly fix

dont slide the tray,the cement will just gather.always try it dry first just to make sure it fits etc.i have been known to lay the cement (make sure its not to dry),pop a few ice cubes down (make a few small icecube size channels in the cement).the tray slides on the ice,ice melts and water just mixes with cement.due to weight dont worry if cubes crush,tray will still slide.moved hot tubs in small spaces like this,you dont need an army of extra hands for the job

J

jay

i would screw 6mm cement sheet to the ply dont use pva (if moisture gets to it it will return to liquid and fail) usa an acrylic primer and yes mix with render hope this helps:8:

D

Dave Ramsden

Is this the type of tray you mean?

dave-ramsden-albums-hopwood-house-picture3442-hopwood-house-025.jpg

D

DazJWood

i would screw 6mm cement sheet to the ply dont use pva (if moisture gets to it it will return to liquid and fail) usa an acrylic primer and yes mix with render hope this helps:8:

Thanks. Can you clarify what you mean by Render? What does the acrylic primer do?

I was thinking of using cement sheet as I have some Hardie backer board left over from using it for the floor. I haven't got enough to do cover the ply in one but can cover it in two pieces. Could I just then mix sand and cement and put it on top of this?

D

DazJWood

dont slide the tray,the cement will just gather.always try it dry first just to make sure it fits etc.i have been known to lay the cement (make sure its not to dry),pop a few ice cubes down (make a few small icecube size channels in the cement).the tray slides on the ice,ice melts and water just mixes with cement.due to weight dont worry if cubes crush,tray will still slide.moved hot tubs in small spaces like this,you dont need an army of extra hands for the job

Thanks! That's an interesting idea to use! Don't think I'd have ever thought of that one, but might be worth considering.

J

jolly fix

above is for tray into alcove,not open setting as in daves pic,for that i would just lay it down on thin cement bed

Reply to Stone Resin Tray - How to lay on cement / sand mix in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen