Search the forum,

Discuss Some Customers and Builders in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

afright

TF
Reaction score
Just had a look at a few bathrooms in a 18th century house as per usual they want it done yesterday,walls ceramic and floor 600 x600 porcelain there is a very bad dip in one floor told customer that floor needs leveling and over plying then backer board ,they said " our builder never told us that"! ,they have got builders to plaster boarded the shower and the rest of the walls are old lath and plaster which is crumbling told the customer that the shower needs tanking and the old plaster to be removed and boarded,the customer "my builder said it would be okay" Told them no guarantee some customers would rather listen to the builder than the tiler who might be doing the job,just makes you think is it all worth your time and effort when they are not prepared to listen. :mad2:

C

charlie1

Afright, you know your stuff, make sure the builder and client knows you know your stuff too and it will all come good!! I say call a meeting!

Reaction score
the builder will probably say "he don't know what he's talking about"

and then get one of his guys to have a bash at the tiling...

same as usual unfortunately

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
nightmare trying to quote a job when a builders on site, they allways think they know best.

stupid really, when they never question the sparky or plumber, just another example of everyone thinks they can tile........about time customers listen to what we say, then we wouldnt be getting all these threads on here about jobs failing..

afright

TF
Reaction score
All they kept saying was "how much I did not allow for that " I just thought to my self what am I doing here,the customer said I will talk to my builder on monday,wonder if I will here from them again then again got a bit on now so really dont need the hassle.One wall over the bath was some sort of perspex which had been tiled before ,even told them that will have to be removed,they had a moan saying "we just fitted the bath"I think because it was tiled before it can be tiled again,they seemed to want a good job but just dont want to pay the extra to make it look right.

Last edited:
C

Colour Republic

the customer "my builder said it would be okay" Told them no guarantee some customers would rather listen to the builder than the tiler who might be doing the job,just makes you think is it all worth your time and effort when they are not prepared to listen. :mad2:

Maybe you should have taken the time to fully explain the benefits instead of putting in their head you're going for a belt and braces approach.

You must have ripped out tons of old mouldy showers, maybe you should start showing them pictures.

There will always be somebody out there that will do the job cheaper because they are not doing it to the same spec, if you want people to spend their cash more wisely you need to demonstrate the extra they are getting for it, not just expect them to take you on your word becuase you know better.

I rarely have a problem because I give them the full facts in a way they can understand, they can only come to one conclusion. The only time I have a problem is if they don't care about the property, some landlords for example where it doesn't make financial sense in the short term to spend that extra, they have borrowed heavily, have low yields and plan to sell before any problems surface. That is there call and they are well within their rights to make it.

D

DHTiling

Typical customer / builder who think tiling is lower than any other trade..nowt to it and just bang them on.. then when it goes wrong... then!! it becomes important..

afright

TF
Reaction score
The building is listed so I think they are a bit worried about ripping into the walls,and the rooms have just been decorated I have explained that to get a good job it needs to be prepared correctly,I think it is a bit of a shock to them that the builder never mention about this.

Reply to Some Customers and Builders in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen