Search the forum,

Discuss Silicone To Bath, Ceiling And Internals in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

bogstandard

Hi all

My large format beige tiles are on the wall.
My suite and cladded ceiling are white and I'm ready to grout with Mapei jasmine grout.
I intend to use matching jasmine silicone on internals with clear (dow) silicone around silverware.
However I would like to get some opinions / preferences on the following points please.

1 When grouting is it ok to grout the internals before siliconing over?
2 Same Q as above but for the joint between the tiles and bath?
3. What colour silicone between white pvc ceiling and beige tiles? (white or matched to grout)
4. What colour silicone for around white bath to beige tiles? (white or matched to grout)
5. What colour silicone between white toilet & pedestal & slate colour floor tiles?
6. Is it advisable to use masking, around the bath before removing and smoothing?

The reason I'm asking about allowing grout into the corners and down to the bath before siliconing is because I'm expect I would achieve a better bead over a previously grouted joint rather than a joint with a gap.

Thanks all for your time. :)

Reaction score
no no no never ever ever grout a join that you are going to silicone.As for the colour of silicone would it be best to use all the same colour.There is a short vid on you tube that shows the best method of how to silicone.How to grout and silicone a shower wall in a static caravan.
It is unusual to grout or silicone the ceiling line(gap)

B

bogstandard

Thanks for the reply Jimthetiler. Point taken regarding the joints to be siliconed. I guerss the silicone is better filling the voids rather than sat on top. I( was going to use all the same colour silicone (jasmine) but quite a few people seem to use white around a white bath, even tho' they colour match the internals. Thanks for the link I'll have a look.
Finally regarding the ceiling/wall line. I have a 2mm gap as I expected to be siliconing, so guess I'll have toapply a thin bead. Plus I didn't clear the unset adhesive from the joint. It's a learning curve.
Cheers :)

S

Spare Tool

Matching the grout in the corners, definitely white around the bath, grout up to ceiling, don't forget to fill bath before sealing..

B

bogstandard

Thanks Localtiler. Fair comment. Tho' I guess if 80% of people preferred white around a white bath that would sway me in the white silicone direction. :)

B

bogstandard

Thanks Andy. Deffo white around a white bath hmmmmm I've seen this more and more. Must be something in it. If I grout to ceiling I would have to remove a bit of set adhesive from a couple of joints. Thanks for your time :)

S

Spare Tool

Thanks Andy. Deffo white around a white bath hmmmmm I've seen this more and more. Must be something in it. If I grout to ceiling I would have to remove a bit of set adhesive from a couple of joints. Thanks for your time :)
Tried a coloured silicone around a bath, don't look good tbh

B

bogstandard

I've got another Q I thought of last night (will open a new thread for it but also ask here) Do I use silicone or grout on the joints between tile and aluminium L shaped trim. I imagine it wont move when grouted both sides but would like to know best practice. Cheers :)

Reply to Silicone To Bath, Ceiling And Internals in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen