Search the forum,

Discuss Silicone Cost Around Shower Cubicle and also Bath in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

john423

How much should I expect to pay for having the old silicone removed and replaced from my shower cubicle, and also from my bath which has a shower over?? Also, do I contact a plumber or a tiler to get the job done??

G

Gazzer

Sorry we dont discuss pricing in the open forums.
You are best calling a tiler or 3 and getting quotes.

Reaction score
I'd go with the a tiler, I have seen lots of silicone that plumbers have done....sorry to upset any plumbers who can silicone well, though there aren't many of you....:lol:

G

Gazzer

I'd go with the a tiler, I have seen lots of silicone that plumbers have done....sorry to upset any plumbers who can silicone well, though there aren't many of you....:lol:

Here we go, wheres my hard hat , I am off to my bunker !!!

T

Time's Ran Out

Click on the Cornertape logo for the forum sponsor and this product will show you how to do it yourself!

R

Rich

I would go with a tiler, no offence meant to plumbers but they do tend to silicone to make things water tight, a tiler should be able to make it water tight and look nice as well.

Or you could look at getting a silicone firm in to do the work?

G

Gazebo

If tilers do the silicone joints do they do it the same day they grout.?

And yes alot of plumbers are good at siliconing................ and tiling, i've yet to meet a decent tiler who can also plumb and fit bathrooms.

Must be a shortage of them in the South East.

Gary

R

Rich

If tilers do the silicone joints do they do it the same day they grout.?

And yes alot of plumbers are good at siliconing................ and tiling, i've yet to meet a decent tiler who can also plumb and fit bathrooms.

Must be a shortage of them in the South East.

Gary

I was amazed that nobody had taken offence to that, I was just being impatient :lol:. Im sure you are right but unfortunatly I have only ever come across plumbers that think they are good at tiling and that is always dangerous.

I wouldnt silicone the same day grouting for a couple of reasons. The grout needs to set completely for the silicone to be able to bond and the movement joints will most likely be full of dust from polishing the grout, same thing, the silicone will not be able to bond and make a water tight seal.

I tend to grout and polish and I will run a paint scraper or a stanley knife down the movement joints to make sure that they are clear of grout, then I come back either when the site has had its build clean or when the grout is set and I will run a hoover along the empty joints to get rid of any dust in them and clean them up with meths to get rid of any grease and muck.
Hope this is some help :thumbsup:

Reply to Silicone Cost Around Shower Cubicle and also Bath in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen