Search the forum,

Discuss Shower cubicle & woodchip ceiling paper in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

miksto

I'm installing a shower cubicle in a room with a woodchip papered ceiling. My intuition tells me that this is not a good combination and I'm not sure what to do about it. Would I get away with painting it with an appropriate paint (eggshell or something similar)?

I'm reluctant to remove the paper because it's in a very old period property and I'm not sure what I would find underneath and how much damage I might do in the process. There are various lumps and bumps in the ceiling which I guess the woodchip paper was designed to conceal.

Alternatively I was thinking of perhaps attaching a small panel to the ceiling directly above the cubicle itself (of wood or backer board) and either painting it or tiling it with mosaic tiles (as I plan to do in the cubicle itself). I'm assuming I'll be able to attach it by screwing through the existing plasterboard into the joists above providing I can locate them. But I'm concerned that moisture might get trapped between the panel and the ceiling and cause problems with mould and decay. Is a ceiling panel a viable option and if so what would be the best way to approach it?... tile adhesive or something similar to avoid any gaps between panel and ceiling?... How easy would it be to tile with mosaic tiles? I've never tiled anything before let alone a ceiling?

Would be very grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks,

Mike

T

tfs

My preference would be to build a new ceiling beneath what you have. In addition to the new frame, I would hammer some holes in the existing ceiling and attach braces between new frame and existing joist to eliminate any bounce and strenghten the new ceiling.

Then you have a flat surface to which you can decorate easier.:thumbsup:

D

diamondtiling

Good advice above, I would have said the same or maybe reboard through existing ceiling if you can get a good fix, be careful for wires.

D

Deleted member 1779

I agree with above too.

Leave everything in-situ (Dont touch it) And put plasterboard over what's there. That way you have a blank canvas. The drop of 9mm will be negligable

M

miksto

Thanks, any idea of approximate costs and time involved in fixing new ceiling (5 sq m)?

D

Deleted member 1779

Take a look at this photo

27950_389992757013_617362013_4126412_7307510_n.jpg

Based on this photo I decided to overboard and replaster. The ceiling above stayed in place.

It's basically a bit of plasterboard and a few screws. Plasterboard no more than £5 a sheet and you will need three small sheets. Plasterboard screws a couple of quid.

If you skim it yourself you will save the cost of a plasterer. When I did the motherinlaws Bathroom the Plasterer charged £30 quid to finish the ceiling

29490_393754947013_617362013_4225171_3381213_n.jpg

Job Done

M

miksto

Thanks, that's very helpful. I presume when attaching the plasterboard you located the joists and drilled right through existing ceiling into joists? Is there any easy way of locating joists. I know which direction they run in but without pulling up all the old floorboards in the upstairs room it won't be easy. I've heard of electronic gadgets that are supposedto help with that as well as locating electric cable. Do they actually work?

D

diamondtiling

You dont need to drill anything, you will be fixing the plasterboard with drywall screws so use 40-50mm and just sink the head below the surface, you will be able to tell when you have a good fix because the screw will scream at you (thats how I describe it anyway). The joists may be 300 or 450mm centres, its very hard to tell without being there. Find one and spend some time working them out then your away. Strike lines on the boards if it helps you to keep on the joists.
Cable finders do work, otherwise nobody would use them. They work on the same principles of a metal detector.

D

Deleted member 1779

To tell the truth on this job I just bashed small holes in the existing ceiling to locate the rafters. Once found marked up the ceiling with pencil. Transfered the lines to the new plasterboard and then used plasterboard screws to lock them into the rafters.

28252_398091212013_617362013_4342909_1891159_n.jpg

38052_404741877013_617362013_4514195_6253322_n.jpg

end result nice smooth ceiling

Last edited by a moderator:
M

miksto

Yes, that makes sense, holes doesn't matter as it is going to be covered anyway. That said, I've had another closer look at the ceiling. I thought perhaps it was an old lath and plaster affair, but looking at edge where it abuts the wall it seems as if it is just chipboard which has been plastered over. Never heard of that before, but I'm beginning to think it may be worth removing it completely before fitting new ceiling. Like the woodchip wallpaper, chipboard in a damp environment doesn't sound like a good idea and it's hardly a 'period' feature which was my original reason for wanting to leave it all well alone. Would you agree?

Reply to Shower cubicle & woodchip ceiling paper in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen