• UK Tiling Forum that lauched to the World. USA and UK Tile Fixers

Welcome to the UK Tiling Forum for UK Tiling Advice, and US Tile Fixers Advice, whether wall tiling or floor tiling advice, by Tilers Forums. The collective tiling advice forum. TilersForums.co.uk now redirects to TilersForums.com.

Discuss Shelf on a Kerdi-Board Wall in the UK Tiling Forum | Tiling Advice area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

M

Mossop

The image shows a sketch showing the location of a bath within a bathroom and an alcove in the room at the end of the bath.

Due to an overhead shower, the stud walls are to be faced in Schluter Kerdi-Board and tiled to the ceiling. I was considering a shelf to be placed at the location indicated within the alcove. This would be over 2 metres above floor.

Would you have any suggestions on doing this?

Would the walls be Kerdi-boarded first, tiled, then a shelf inserted? Or would the shelf somehow be constructed during Kerdi-boarding and before tiling?

What would you construct the shelf from? Kerdi-Board does come in 50mm thickness, which perhaps could be used to construct such a shelf? Would you tile top, bottom and front of the shelf?

Thanks.
2lxfpty.jpg

Reaction score
Hi,

In the SchlĂĽter-KERDI-BOARD range there are profiles that have been designed to enable shelves, vanities, seats etc to be constructed. These can be seen in the Profiles and accessories section (Profiles and attachment hardware | SchlĂĽter - http://www.kerdi-board.co.uk/profiles-and-attachment-hardware.aspx) on www.kerdi-board.co.uk.

If you are looking to include niche shelves within the walls then may I recommend the SchlĂĽter-KERDI-BOARD-SN (Shower niche | Function | SchlĂĽter - http://www.kerdi-board.co.uk/shower-niche.aspx), these are a range of preformed and pre-sealed niches and can save hours on installation.

As ever if you require further information on the SchlĂĽter-Systems range then feel free to call us on +44 (0) 1530 813396 and our consultant for your area will be happy to advise.

OP
M

Mossop

In the SchlĂĽter-KERDI-BOARD range there are profiles that have been designed to enable shelves, vanities, seats etc to be constructed. These can be seen in the Profiles and accessories section (Profiles and attachment hardware | SchlĂĽter - http://www.kerdi-board.co.uk/profiles-and-attachment-hardware.aspx) on www.kerdi-board.co.uk.
Just so I fully understand, the walls on either side of the shelf in my diagram would be boarded in Kerdi-Board, then steel profile externally attached horizontally to these Kerdi-Board walls and a Kerdi-Board shelf inserted.

Then at that point (one shelf has been inserted), walls and shelf would be tiled?

Reaction score
Just so I fully understand, the walls on either side of the shelf in my diagram would be boarded in Kerdi-Board, then steel profile externally attached horizontally to these Kerdi-Board walls and a Kerdi-Board shelf inserted.

Then at that point (one shelf has been inserted), walls and shelf would be tiled?

Method sounds correct. Once done would be good to see pictures as you go, and once completed.

OP
M

Mossop

Method sounds correct. Once done would be good to see pictures as you go, and once completed.

I saw a film on Youtube of a triangular Kerdi-Board toiletry shelf being installed in a bathroom. The installer used 25mm thick Kerdi-Board, though the shelf looked small.

The triangular bathroom shelf (from my diagram above) would measure approximately 77cm x 50cm x 60cm,

Do you think 25mm thick Kerdi would be okay?

OP
D

Dumbo

I saw a film on Youtube of a triangular Kerdi-Board toiletry shelf being installed in a bathroom. The installer used 25mm thick Kerdi-Board, though the shelf looked small.

The triangular bathroom shelf (from my diagram above) would measure approximately 77cm x 50cm x 60cm,

I would get a shelf that size made out of toughened glass and sink it into the tiles to support it .

Reaction score

You'd need to consider the weight of the tiles, adhesive and grout along with what would be placed on the shelf.

Reply to Shelf on a Kerdi-Board Wall in the UK Tiling Forum | Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Replies you've not seen

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzer