Search the forum,

Discuss SBR slurry- correct mix please? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Plumbing Tiler

Hello all, hope you are all keeping well and busy!
Just a quicky, I have a kitchen floor coming up to tile with some bitumen left on it from I'm guessing when it was previously parquet floored. As I mostly do bathrooms I've not come across this problem before so I need some help please!
It has dips and bumps and is far from flat so I was going to go over it using Weber floorflex then prime and tile but I now realise that SLC is not the best way and that a SBR slurry mix is the way forward, my question is what is the correct mix ratio please, didn't want to google it as I would rather hear it from an experienced expert!
Thanks in advance!

Q

Qwerty

Most people work to a ratio of SBR diluted 1:1 with water and then mixed with approximately 30% by weight of adhesive. I often go slightly more on the SBR, then just mix in the adhesive until a smooth consistency a bit like thick self levelling compound

Q

Qwerty

That's why I use more SBR. I do find the water helps it move better though, so personally I do still always use it. The 1:1 ratio is far superior Dave, just a pig to move about

P

Plumbing Tiler

Most people work to a ratio of SBR diluted 1:1 with water and then mixed with approximately 30% by weight of adhesive. I often go slightly more on the SBR, then just mix in the adhesive until a smooth consistency a bit like thick self levelling compound
Thanks for the reply Plan Tec.
So you say to use "adhesive" , so you mean tile adhesive then and not cement?, then do you mean to use the mix to fix the tiles instead of just adhesive on its own, I was under the impression that you used the mix like a SLC then when it dried you then tiled onto it or have I got the wrong end of the stick- quite probably lol!

P

Plumbing Tiler

Oh, and you can call me Geoff..... only my Mum calls me Plan Tec! ;):D:)
Cheers Geoff! I'm with you now, so its best to use a rapid set adhesive to aid drying then I guess?.......So is actual cement a no-no then, cement based addy is the best way?

Q

Qwerty

Rapid is best. I have used normal cement in the past but tile adhesive is smoother and in the back of our vans! :D

Reply to SBR slurry- correct mix please? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen