Search the forum,

Discuss Sanding or honing porcelain in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rowdey

Hi,

Have a client who supplied own tiles and grout (porcelain finger tiles 10cmx2cm on paper sheet backing, and Mapei Ultracolour Plus Manhatton) but wanted a darker grey once all up.. :incazzato:

Still, he'll pay me to remove grout and redo, but when using my Bosch PMF machine with RiFF saw, it skated across some of the tiles and although some are only lightly marked, a couple have been damaged by the saw.
(As it's only minor damage, like 1 or 2mm deep, i want to make good rather than remove.)

I've tried 400, 180, and 60 grit (wetted) on a sander, but not much luck - Anyone got a good 'inside tip' for this at all ?

Cheers

R

Last edited by a moderator:
W

White Room

I'd remove and replace, as you say there's only a couple of tiles. Why not use aqua mix grout colourant

T

Time's Ran Out

Hi Rowdey

If you haven't got any spare tiles to replace -then your in something hot and smelly!

If you have -dont waste time just replace!

You'll never polish/hone te surface to match IMHO.:thumbsup:

John.

W

wetdec

I've tried 400, 180, and 60 grit (wetted) on a sander, but not much luck - Anyone got a good 'inside tip' for this at all ?

You will be there until your old age, take the advice of others........:thumbsup:

O

Olz

Sometimes is just easier to bite the bullet and replace the tiles, time is money too remember so it might be quicker and cheaper for you to just replace.

R

Rowdey

I'd remove and replace, as you say there's only a couple of tiles. Why not use aqua mix grout colourant

I'd already started on removing grout with a rake.. :incazzato: then quickly moved on to Bosch and Riff saw by friday afternoon, so couldn't follow this up afraid, shame.. Assume you can recommend it first hand ?

After speaking to the Mapei, it came apparent that they make a re-colouring product themselves..would have been nice to hear that before they said about removing the grout then overgrouting....anyway.. :mad2:

The Riff saw was a litle wider than the grout lines and did slightly open up the joints - as the tiles were inconsistant on the backing and some tiles not even same size, this helpfully made all grout line's equal.. yay..!

In 8/9 years of doing bathrooms, never had this happen before - now had it twice in 3 months..first time was wrong (client supplied..) colour on Bizzaza glass mosaics.. :eek:

Cheers for the advice all. :thumbsup:

Reply to Sanding or honing porcelain in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen