Search the forum,

Discuss Resin formed shower trays in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

H

hillhead

Hello folks,
Next week if tiles arrive I have a bathroom floor and shower to tile.
The tray is is in place in the middle of a wall on floor.
It's a white shiny resin formed tray flush with floor and pre formed drops to the drain.
I have to envelope the tray with the floor tiles.
Has any of you ever tiled onto one of these?
Basically plastic so I was wondering what adhesive to use?
Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Q

Qwerty

Never tried it myself Joe, but know Mapei sell a product called Planipatch and also Nivorapid. Both are mixed with Latex Plus which I believe may suit your needs. You may need to use a primer such as Eco Prim Grip or similar too. Best give Mapei support a call :thumbsup:

Here is the pdf doc for Latex Plus which mentions both ..... http://www.mapei.com/public/GB/products/114_Latex%20Plus_UK.PDF

Is there no way your client cant move to a dedicated wetroom former?

H

hillhead

Thanks Geoff, they have the tray already planted into the floor.
Typical eh?.
I'v never tiled on one before either, white plastic basically.
If the tiles don't arrive by the weekend i might not get a chance until new year so they can't wait and then i'll escape,lol.

J

jolly fix

few years back was asked to do the same,i didnt think it was a good idea etc.the client pushed for it and after getting in writing that i would not be held responsible ...etc put one tile on with same flex addy as floor tiles.next day tile was solid, he said to carry on,i told him it might come unstuck in the near future etc.went back there 6wks ago all tiles still inplace....but only time ive done it ,could have been a one off that they stuck,would think about 6mm cement board resin fixed to tray first,but then its the detail at the top of board and tile to think about.

H

hillhead

Even a bal tanking kit with the mesh might work, i read somewhere where it said just use a flexible additive in the addy.

J

jolly fix

sorry just read again,i thought it was tile the sides of shower tray,not the tray itself..

R

redlee

Sounds like a wet room former? If it is they're not usually as shiny/glossy as a standard tray and single part flexible should be okay.

H

hillhead

It's shiny, resin formed with drain in middle.
I'v no pics but I have to envelope cuts into it.
It's set into floor at same level and pre formed drops.
Handy job really but I have just never seen one like this.

P

Peter

An epoxy resin adhesive would be worth looking at. Failing that, two part rubber crumb might take to it.

Reply to Resin formed shower trays in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen