Search the forum,

Discuss Resin Backed Limestone - Failure in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Deleted member 18697

We fitted a limestone floor a while ago, the tiles had a resin backing on them. We took advice from an adhesive company and they recommended their S1 adhesive. The floor has now extensively debonded. The adhesive has failed to bond to the backs of the tiles. Has anyone else had an experience like this? The base was a screed with under floor heating and we fitted ditra matting. The tiles were buttered before bedding. Any thoughts on this, gratefully received.

O

One Day

Yup it's probably the combo of heat and resin.
Resin alone would likely be ok but heating the resin releases all sorts of chemical solventy nasties which break the adhesive bond.
That's my guess....

S

Spud

What have the adhesive company said? There are a few threads on here about failures with resin backed stone and I think you should contact the supplier and stone federation for some guidance as I believe the stone federation recommend that the resin is removed prior to fixing but since there are so many different types of products out there it can be a minefield
A lot of stone companies resin back their slabs to stop damage while being transported but recommend it removed prior to fixing , some use it to laminate the stone for structural strength and it can't be removed most of these types of products recommend fixing with s2 classified adhesives

D

Deleted member 18697

The supplier knew about the under floor heating. I left 2 messages asking what their recommendation for fixing would be and got no reply! This in hindsight is quite telling. I therefore contacted the adhesive company who recommended their s1 adhesive (in writing). Their were no instructions from the supplier to remove the backing. This would have been a huge task as it was well stuck on and there was over 100m of stone. The adhesive company are due to come out and have a look and we will see how they play it.

T

The D

The TTA put something out about this a while back may be worth contacting them in the meantime.

J

jonnyc

The TTA put something out about this a while back may be worth contacting them in the meantime.
Can one just contact tta direct.this issue needs addressing for anyone who fixes limestone/marble with this resin backing.to me it seems that not all Resin backing is the same and potentially a real minefield for a fixer who is not a chemist by profession

J

jonnyc

What have the adhesive company said? There are a few threads on here about failures with resin backed stone and I think you should contact the supplier and stone federation for some guidance as I believe the stone federation recommend that the resin is removed prior to fixing but since there are so many different types of products out there it can be a minefield
A lot of stone companies resin back their slabs to stop damage while being transported but recommend it removed prior to fixing , some use it to laminate the stone for structural strength and it can't be removed most of these types of products recommend fixing with s2 classified adhesives
I have never heard on any stone /marble supplier recommending that resin backingb should be removed prior to fixing

J

J Sid

Haven't done any for a while, but when i did i always abraded the backs with grinder or sanding and then buttered the back with adhesive and admix, rightly or wrongly, but never had any come backs.

Reply to Resin Backed Limestone - Failure in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen