Search the forum,

Discuss Removing lining from ceiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

fiona2367

Hiya everyone

I'm just a DIY'er...and have now embarked on removing the lining from the ceiling, as advised by our recent plasterer as there were a couple of areas where the lining was peeling.(there are also a large amount of cracks, some running the lenght of the ceiling and others across the corners)
I've started and it was going ok'ish with the lining coming away clean to reveal the plaster in all its glory. The problem I have now is that the lining isn't coming away clean anymore, which is making for particularly hard work as I'm not using the steamer. The plasterer advised me not to use the steamer as it would probably ruin the plaster under.
I've no idea when the plastering was done but we've been in the house for about 9 years so suffice to say its not new plaster but looks good (to my very novice eye).

any suggestions....would damping it down help?

Thanks
Fi

D

DHTiling

You could try that fiona.....if not use the steamer but only in short bursts , so as not to blow the plaster with too much heat....but try wetting it 2 or 3 times allow to soak and try that first..

M

marc1106

use a liqiud stripper Add to warm water and soak with a sponge leave for 5-10mins soak again itll lift right off! polycell do a orange liquid remover thats my personall favorite! :45:

F

fiona2367

....when I do the soaking...should that ideally be onto the" leftover" lining rather than onto the painted lining? I assume the former but then again if I'm using the polycell stripper it'll "eat" throught the paint so I won't need to remove that "first" layer??
really sorry if this sounds a bit daft!! I've stripped many a wall but ceilings are a new game!!

thanks again to all who've answered / will answer!!

F

D

DHTiling

If you can fiona pull the top painted coat off and soak the backing to get it off.......back aching work but will be worth it..

M

marc1106

If you can fiona pull the top painted coat off and soak the backing to get it off.......back aching work but will be worth it..

And if you cant pull the top layer off score it with the corner of your scraper, this will help the "stripper" soak through to the backing! :45:

F

fiona2367

ok.....the top layer is coming off nice 'n slowly....there's no backache yet it's the lower arms that are aching already!!!! Any solutions to this....lol

Right, back to work I must go....need to impress my dear man with my hard work y'know!!

:hurray:

C

Colour Republic

You may have already stripped it by now, but before I make any suggestions on how to remove the paper quicker. do you know how the ceiling is contructed? how old is you house? is there a chance it could be lath and plaster? or is it moden plaster board?

Reply to Removing lining from ceiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen