Search the forum,

Discuss Remove Grout From Internal Corners? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
I don't remember doing a thread about silicone/grout in corners, I've definitely stated that I don't silicone up to ceilings skirting so or architraves. I'm like you mate, I do what I believe to be right on the job I'm on, I am a bit of a stickler for silicone only in corners but, never in my life have I siliconed to a skirting board (unless it's a tiled skirting) or used anything other than grout up to ceilings. I do silicone around window reveals and I know a lot don't.
Mmmmm i do remember a thread on it, could of been on the other forum, my memory is not my greatest asset ;)
@3fall ofcoarse im calling you elitist :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Im joking mate, im just on the wind up, i was hoping a few more elitists would of bit really :kissingheart:

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Mmmmm i do remember a thread on it, could of been on the other forum, my memory is not my greatest asset ;)
@3fall ofcoarse im calling you elitist :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Im joking mate, im just on the wind up, i was hoping a few more elitists would of bit really :kissingheart:

Maybe there's no elitists on here Craig, just your perception that they think they are :rolleyes:

kids-fishing-clipart-dT8Xoy6Te.gif

O

Old Mod

So thought I'd bring this back to life for a moment!:D @widler, ;)
Preping a shower room today and I had to remove silicone from corners of a shower.
.......and what do I find! Low and behold.......someone has put silicone over the grout!!!
Not saying I told u so but .......... Haha
Silicone over grout in corners is just wrong!

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
I take it these are the bathrooms that are failing marc ?
Bad floors, bad prep bad walls bad prep all in all a crap job.
I can show you hundreds of shower rooms , mine included , which is used 3/4 times a day for nigh on ten years, no leaks apart from the crap shower screen.
I can show you showers ive never tanked which are fine, mine included , i can show you pebbledashing/rendering which i used loads of pva on which are solid after 30 years , no cracks no blow offs, i can show you women i have slept with who .... Hang on, off topic ;)
All im saying is if its prepped right and the job is done right some things are just over kill

Ps you can say i told you so all you want, mine aint failed , ever my man, and ive filled ever corner ive ever tiled :)

O

Old Mod

I take it these are the bathrooms that are failing marc ?
Bad floors, bad prep bad walls bad prep all in all a crap job.
I can show you hundreds of shower rooms , mine included , which is used 3/4 times a day for nigh on ten years, no leaks apart from the crap shower screen.
I can show you showers ive never tanked which are fine, mine included , i can show you pebbledashing/rendering which i used loads of pva on which are solid after 30 years , no cracks no blow offs, i can show you women i have slept with who .... Hang on, off topic ;)
All im saying is if its prepped right and the job is done right some things are just over kill

Ps you can say i told you so all you want, mine aint failed , ever my man, and ive filled ever corner ive ever tiled :)
Hahaha I just like watching u rant Craig! Hahaha
I knew u'd bite mate!;)
I've had a difficult day! What am I supposed to do! Hehe
No hard feelings mate. Just a giggle. Well for me!
Is that selfish? Haha

O

Old Mod

I think also it depends on the silicone being used. Bath and Sanitary is what's needed, but I know for a fact some plumbers use the cheap general purpose silicone which does not adhere to the tiles - maybe that's what was used in your pics Marc who knows
Yes all true.
My point has only ever been that u use silicone only in the corners because these corners are prone to cracking because of movement, thus becoming natural expansion joints, therefore it's best to completely fill void with silicone and not grout!
Just that and no more. :)

K

Kia tiling

Each tiled surface should be independant. Top bottom and sides etc.. All you've got ta do is run a scraper around after the first or second wash, it's not that much of a chore. What you guys are missing here is that silicon doesn't bond to grout very well, If you ever re silicon a bathroom you'll spend ages scraping it clean, if it's been done over grout it peels off with ease. Yes, I'm sure people get away with it as do people that grout corners and never have any problems.
Why chance it?

Reply to Remove Grout From Internal Corners? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen

Birthdays