• Thread starter Sina Kin
  • Start date
  • Replies 5
  • Views 1K

Discuss Quick intro and question!! in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

Sina Kin

Hey everyone. Happy to be a part of this forum.

I am from Australia and have recently had a stressful time with my tiler.

We have had a small section tiled outside yesterday but it started last night and it's still raining today.
I had told the tiler that it'll be raining and I don't think he should do the job until we have good weather again but he insisted that it'll be fine and not a problem.

Using floor tile adhesive ardex 10x, he has placed the floor tiles down starting around 1pm till 6pm. This whole time we had clear skies and full sun. Around 12am at night it started raining and rained through the night. I feared the rain so had placed some tarp over the tiles and secured it down where I could. Today has been very windy and rainy and the tarp is not holding up well with the strong winds and has let rain into the newly tiled area.

I am worried that the bond between the tiles and floor will not be strong.
Will the rain affect the tiles or will thorough drying over the next few days help? We are expecting mostly fine days with a shower or two for the next 2-3 days. I believe the tiler wants to come and get the grouting done soon and finish the job.

How long before I should allow him to grout?

Sorry about the long post. All help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

B

Blunt Tool

Welcome, can you tell us what kind of tile has been used and what was the sub floor? Some pictures would help also.

T

Time's Ran Out

I’ve never used X10 before but I’ve looked it up!
It’s suitable for external use so with 6 hours drying before the rain it may be fine.
Obviously you / tiler will check bond before proceeding with grouting.
Many, many years ago (1980’s) we did an alley storage area with quarries and X7 adhesive . The next day it was under 2 feet of water so we went home. It drained later and the tiles were as solid as a rock!
A great adhesive!

S

Sina Kin

Welcome, can you tell us what kind of tile has been used and what was the sub floor? Some pictures would help also.

Thank you!!

It's a concrete floor and porcelain tiles. The rain will stop in an hour or so I'll remove the tarp and get some photos for you.

S

Sina Kin

I’ve never used X10 before but I’ve looked it up!
It’s suitable for external use so with 6 hours drying before the rain it may be fine.
Obviously you / tiler will check bond before proceeding with grouting.
Many, many years ago (1980’s) we did an alley storage area with quarries and X7 adhesive . The next day it was under 2 feet of water so we went home. It drained later and the tiles were as solid as a rock!
A great adhesive!

Thank you!!! That makes me feel much better. How many days of drying should I allow before he can grout. I've read that if there is lots of moisture between the tiles the grout can be affected.

Reply to Quick intro and question!! in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks