Search the forum,

Discuss Problem gap at ceiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

ljmountain

I am tiling my bathroom, it is my first wall tiling project (have done a couple of floors). When deciding the layout I had to make a decision about where to have a narrow cut (I did the tile height story stick), for better or worse I decided to have this at the ceiling (I would have placed this at the floor level with hindsight - I have learnt a lot from this forum in the last week!). The cuts are going to be between 20mm and 50mm high (tile is 200mm high x 250mm wide), I believe the rule is not to make cuts less than 20% so I am breaking rule by having cuts of 20mm. My wife has suggested we don't do the cuts and use coving, I was considering this but this forum has made me think it will look like I am hiding something. I am 95% complete with the tiling and only have this last row of cuts to complete, the rest of the bathroom looks fantastic and I don't want to ruin it. I think I have three options (if there are more please let me know!):
1) Use coving\cornice
2) Accept cuts of 20-50mm
3) Rip out the last row of tiles and put a second mosaic border in place, this will then finish with 140mm - 170mm cuts at the ceiling level (I already have a 50mm mosaic border at 1000mm).

Thanks in advanced.

G

Gall.B

Use the coving, will give a good finish.

Full tile or as good as always look best imho, think thats one of the first places your eyes are drawn to when entering a room the small cut would look terrible.

I always aim for a full tile if possible at ceiling when setting out.

I

Ian

Yep, coving for me. That's what I've done in my own bathroom and it gives a lovely finish with the coving over the top of the tiles.

L

ljmountain

I forgot to say White matt gloss tile with White grout - not sure if that makes a difference (brick bonded). The third option would give pretty much 3/4 of a tile at ceiling. I am surprised at support for Coving - does anyone have any links to suggested products and ideally pics of finished bathroom. Thanks.

tommyzooom

TF
Arms
Reaction score
A second border sounds the best idea, or do your cuts at the ceiling, see what it looks like when its grouted etc, and if you dont like it , then put up coving. If the tiles are white with white grout, they probably won't be noticable
Some rooms, when you have to think of the roof, floor, bath height, shower tray, window sill, door head, window head etc, a narrow cut somewhere is sometimes unavoidable

T

Time's Ran Out

I'd only consider the coving option if its used in the rest of the house.
A mosaic border or the small uneven cut will both take the eye up to the top of the walls.
Another viewpoint would be to reduce the ceiling height and level it at the same time with either a new boarded plaster ceiling or batons and plastic panels.
Hindsight is a great asset!

C

CJ CERAMICS

as with Timeless on this i would personally consider lowering the ceiling height with the batons and plastic panels this can give you a perfect finish at the ceiling.

good luck with whatever you decide.

chris

H

hillhead

Also you said somewhere had to have to small cut ie ceiling or floor?So you had a full tile on floor i take it?A cut there would have give you a better cut at ceiling too.It's all in the laying out all the time.It's one the main decisions us tilers have to make on every job early on.Ceiling lowered is a good idea but i'd go for coving myself, coving in same colour as the architrive etc?

Reply to Problem gap at ceiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen