Search the forum,

Discuss Prime and Tank Aquapanel in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

E

easyt

I'm not really 100% clear on this. I will tank joints on the Aquapanel.panel and edges. Should I also put silicone into gaps between?

The board is on 25mm battens Fixed at 250mm centres.
1 Do I need to tank the Aquapanel?

2 Do I need to prime the Aquapanel?

If I need to prime do I do it after tanking?

???

D

diamondtiling

Tape the joints/corners and then tank.

No need to tank the whole area as they are waterproof.

No need to prime.

:thumbsup:

F

faithhealer

don't think it will serve any purpose as the water shouldn't get that far but if it can't do any harm if you wish to do it

J

jay

Thanks DT. Is it worth silicone in 3mm between joints and at corners before tanking?

depends on waterproofing material the silicone joint you are referring to is a basic bond breaker used to stop w/p sticking in corners were cracking will occur hope this helps

try this link explains better

[PDF]
Shower Waterproofing System

Last edited by a moderator:
S

simon1

Did not think Aquapanel was waterproof - only water resistant, meaning it will not degrade in water but it will still pass through, the same as Hardie backer, who reccomend a poly sheet behind when installing in wet areas if i remember right.

please correct me if i'm wrong:yikes:

if you dont need the aquapanel for the weight issue then me personally would do 12.5mm plasterboard and tank it

S

Scott

I just scrim tape the joints and skim with flexible adhesive. Never tank the whole lot

G

Gazebo

As Simon1 says....

Aquapanel is not waterproof and will let moisture and water pass through it hence why it is recommended to use it on timber stud wall situations as any moisture can disperse behind it.

still good stuff though aslong as you use aquapanel jointing mastic(it expands into the joints ever so slightly then cut off excess or use a tanking membrane as others suggest.

lay an off cut of aquapanel in some water an leave overnight...it is quite absorbent.

better to plasterboard and tank or use marmox board.

D

diamondtiling

Aquapanel Tile Backer

Knauf Aquapanel cement board is an extremely durable tile backer providing a solid substrate for wet indoor areas such as bathrooms, shower rooms and wet rooms. Resistant to mould and mildew, Aquapanel will not deteriorate in water. It retains its strength even if fully immersed.

Sounds pretty waterproof to me.

Reply to Prime and Tank Aquapanel in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen