Search the forum,

Discuss polished porcelain in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

rat

just finished me wall tiling in the kitchen.
bought some 24" polished porcelain tiles, got me wet cutter etc at the ready.

never done these before though so a bit nervous about ballsing it up.:icon8:
believe the gap must be minimal, what exactly?

any tips, knowledge much appreciated. (floor is quite small 3m sq)

read many tips about setting out with chalk and wood etc..whats best in this case for accuracy.

ta v m in advance

G

grumpygrouter

Grout line is whatever you think looks right, though I believe BS for floor tiling is at least 3mm. More important is to ensure your floor is solid and that you use adhesive and grout suitable for the substrate, and porcelain.

Chalk lines are fine, it will only be as accurate as your measuring anyway. Laser level may help but it is a cost you really don't need for DIY.

Oh! I think I am correct in saying that polished porcelain requires sealing as well before you grout.

Good luck, tell us how you get on.

Grumpy

R

rat

thanks for that,
it does say on the tile box that they need sealing both before and after.
is there any method to this or does it just go in the joints only, also is it possible to recommend any sealer or doesnt this forum allow it?

wiil go for the 3mm then as you suggest
tiles will be going onto prepared conctrete.
also is it worth sealing the concrete with pva or similar?

W

wivers

Yup it does need sealer grumps. Just be careful though coz i found that Fila sealer clung to the tile alot and i had to spend about 5 minutes buffing it off each tile the next day. Those tiles also only have a very slight bevel of about half a mil or so, you need to get them nice and flat or else the lipping really shows.

Yea give the floor a prime mate it won't hurt. If in doubt prime the damn thing :) If your using Bal rapid flexi it has primer built in but it still wouldn't hurt to give it a quick coat of Bal bond.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

rat

sounds as though you know these tiles well!!
sounds also like itll be a baptism of fire into the world of floor tiling cos of the tiny bevel in them:icon9:

will avoid that particular sealer i think..........

thanks to all

D

DHTiling

seal with porcelain impregnator.......buff off the residue before it dries on too hard......dave...

Reply to polished porcelain in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen