Search the forum,

Discuss Plumbing price in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I

Ian

Went to look at a bathroom yesterday and took a mate of mine to price the plumbing side of things. Its a fairly big job, full rip out (I'm going to rip all the old plasterboard off the stud work and replace as I beleive this is the best way to go). I've asked him to price for removing, toilet, sink shower and shower cubicle and replace with good quality but not rediculously priced gear. The only pipework that needs any major work is for the sink, as the client wants it hiding in the stud wall, all other pipework is staying as is. So here's how the price goes; £150 shower tray, £160 shower, £280 shower enclosure, £170 semi-pedestal sink and £145 toilet. Total £905 taps, wastes and fittings all included. I think this is reasonable the part of the price I'm questioning is the labour, correct me if I'm wrong but there is no more than 3 days work here max for a competant plumber and he wants £865 labour so £1770 grand total. I appreciate that no one can see the job I just want to make sure I'm not having my pants pulled down, he's not doing any ripping out other than the sanitary ware and I'm pricing the skip into my budget. Any opinions on this greatly appreciated, thanks Bri.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hiya brian,everyones prices vary but 865 for a re fit is too much if hes subbing to you imo

is he havign to pick up and deliver the suite you have requested also.if so he may be adding on for this which is fair enough

it shouldnt take a plumber 3 days for a swapover bathroom anyway,if it was here brian id be looking to pay 450 to 550 for a swapover labour only i hope this helps

T

tfs

seem a bit high if its pretty much straight swap over e.g.

shower simply being replaced

new tray being fitted into existing waste

toilet fitting into existing waste etc

sink into existing wasted (but concealed pipes, pressuming there isnt alot of studs etc to be drilled)

To be fair this guy needs to make profit too but, you could get the work done cheaper if wanted to.

Perhaps he is putting in a half day or even a days labour to cover the removal and isolation on his first visit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I

Ian

hiya brian,everyones prices vary but 865 for a re fit is too much if hes subbing to you imo

is he havign to pick up and deliver the suite you have requested also.if so he may be adding on for this which is fair enough

it shouldnt take a plumber 3 days for a swapover bathroom anyway,if it was here brian id be looking to pay 450 to 550 for a swapover labour only i hope this helps

Yeah thats what I thought, £500 max labour. I'd say he's making a couple of quid on the suite but I expect that. I'll have a word as he's battering my budget and I'm not losing profit because he wants £290 a day.

I

Ian

seem a bit high if its pretty much straight swap over e.g.

shower simply being replaced

new tray being fitted into existing waste

toilet fitting into existing waste etc

sink into existing wasted (but concealed pipes, pressuming there isnt alot of studs etc to be drilled)

To be fair this guy needs to make profit too but, you could get the work done cheaper if wanted to.

Perhaps he is putting in a half day or even a days labour to cover the removal and isolation on his first visit.

He's a good plumber and gets me a few jobs but no one is worth £300 a day when its subbed work, or am I being naive?

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
you could aproach it by tellinh him the budget,see if he can meet it

i had this issue with a mate he was asking for really high prices and i simply told him what i could afford

good luck bri

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
brian,is it really going to take him 3 full days for a swap?

its more like 1.5 days,half day to remove and sort and pipe changes and a day to re fit

T

tfs

He's a good plumber and gets me a few jobs but no one is worth £300 a day when its subbed work, or am I being naive?

Some guys may be worth that but, I think its a bit expensive for this type of installation. I would ask him if he could budge on the price but also offer to supply materials if it makes it easier for him to offer you a btter price. He may be charging as much due to him putting so much money out up front.

Your deffo not wrong in saying that the price is high.

I

Ian

brian,is it really going to take him 3 full days for a swap?

its more like 1.5 days,half day to remove and sort and pipe changes and a day to re fit

Well I've been around long enough to know how long these things take and I think 3 days is very generous! 2 is realistic. Thanks for the advice, I'll let you know how I get on.

Reply to Plumbing price in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen