Search the forum,

Discuss Plasterboard oN or behind resin shower tray? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Maisymoo

Hi all,

I am getting conflicting messages from my builder and plumber regarding fixing a new resin shower tray in a new bathroom. The builder wants to recess the tray so the plasterboard butts on top of the tray, but the plumber wants to fit the tray flush against the board and then have the tiles on top of the edge of the tray. Which is the best practice to ensure a good seal ? I also have some bal bond sbr to seal the plasterboard prior to tiling - is this the right stuff to use ?
many thanks for any advice.
maisymoo

D

Dougs Third Go

Hi maisymoo, personally I prefer the tray to fit flush to the plasterboard, as long as the walls are square. No need to prime the boards, however tanking them is advisable.

tommyzooom

TF
Arms
Reaction score
The PB on top of the tray will be a nightmare to seal, also you will be "losing" part of your tray in the wall, and will find it hard to find doors to fit your tray .
For example, your 900 tray will now be 888mm, and it still has to be tiled.
Better to plasterboard down to the ground and tank the inside of the shower

C

Colour Republic

hmmmm there is no right or wrong way but butting the tray up to the plasterboard is the preferred option rather than sitting the plasterboard on top.

It never use to be a problem as old style trays had wider profiles and tiles were often thin cheap ceramics. But now modern shower trays have slim profiles and edges, in addition people sepnd more on their bathrooms so often opt for more expensive or natural stone tiling which is thicker. So if you plasterboard on top of the tray you run the risk of losing the edge or worse your shower door won't fit as the gap is too small.

You shower door will have specs that state the opening needed. Often something like 860mm-900mm. So say you started with 900mm, now take away the thickness of 2 polasterboards either side (25mm), you're now left with 875mm, so that leaves 15mm for tiles either side, not forgetting adhesive.... you can see where the problem lies.

Board it first
Lay the tray,
Tank the walls (recommended)
seal,
tile,
seal again.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
depends if the tray has a 20mm lip on it these trays are ment to be resesed in the wall, if not then as above fit flush and tank walls.

D

DHTiling

Some trays l etc have an upstand lip .. these need the plasterboard to be cut to allow the tray to recess back , so that the tiles fit in front of this lip...

tray in pic :
images

then you have flush fitting trays and these usually just fit flush back to the wall with no recessing of the plasterboard... :
images

It is advisable practice to waterproof the background substrate but not law as yet in the uk.

IMO i would follow the advice of your plumber if a flush fitting tray.

Reply to Plasterboard oN or behind resin shower tray? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen