Search the forum,

Discuss plasterboard ceiling in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

cfrazerg

Hi,

The old house i just bought had polystyrene tiles which I removed unfortunately the old adhesive will not come off from just scraping that was used to dot and dab the poly on. Ive been told to plasterboard over it should I dot and dab new plasterboard above the old ceiling or pull the old board down and put new plasterboard down and screw it down.

G

Gazzer

I would either over board and skim or just skim. If it were my house I would probably remove the existing ceiling and reboard.

C

cfrazerg

Thanks for advice Im going to overboard and then skim. (I wont be skimming it)

Would you overboard directly on to old boards and screw through joists above or screw 2 by 1 onto ceiling across the joists and then screw through board and wood as I could place the 2by1 exactly where I need it..???

W

White Room

Find out where your joists are located and do a chalk line from one end of the room to the other end.....

P

Protilers

IMO....pull it down......ceilings are always located on stud (they have to be).........even if it is lathe and plaster....either way....its quicker to get above and "kick" it in!!!!!!!.........and it is better!!!!

once you are back to joists........12.5mm plasterboards........with a tapered edge.........bit of filler and you are good to go!!!!!!...

Lee

Reply to plasterboard ceiling in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen