Search the forum,

Discuss People try it on(especially builders) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

mz30

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Had a phone call a week or so ago,"hello is that mike,you have been recommended by a guy who works for me,am refurbing a restaraunt was wondering if you could come and give me quote" i says no problem,hows about i come over around 4 this afternoon,he says great.

So arrives at said restaraunt the job is 105m2 floor the whole dining area ,gives him a price of just under £3500 labour only,he then says ok are you going to check the floor make sure its ok,i says yes ,i wonder what he thought i had the 2.5m straight edge for :dizzy2:,so throws the edge over and it isnt to bad in the main,but there is a rise were they had removed a wall not a massive one but enough to need sorting,i tells him and he says ok will get that levelled,we agree a start date ,the day before i was due to start he phones and ask if we still on for tomorrow,i says yes and he replies"so you will be coming today with the screed to level the floor" I near choked i said no you said you would sort it,he replied did i thought you said you would do it,so we eventually sorted it out that he was mistaken ,he then says ok come tomorrow will be ready for you to start,right i'll be there first thing.

Turns up the next morning all geared up and ready to go ,screeding is done but not great so i think i'll throw a bit more on in one area and start tiling at the other end,does that and starts setting out,so after all that am ready to start,right fred weres the adhesive ,he replies i thought you were getting it,i basically laughed in his face,but he was serious.

I said i give you the price labour only,no materials included:mad2:he said well i thought you would get the adhesive at least,by this time i had turned grey and was close to packing up when he pulled out my written quote and there in bold letters was the price and the words LABOUR ONLY.

He apologised and said i have 10 bags of adhesive in my van(off another job yeah)that will get you started,will bring the rest tommorow.

Wish that was the end of it,he then says the reason he got mixed up is that the tiler he normally uses supplies all the materials does all the prep for ............

Wait for it......

£15 m2
I choked on my coffee,thought he musnt have used a tiler since the 1960's.

Jobs started anyway after all the messing and is looking good cant wait till tomorrow to see what he tries on :yikes:

D

davy_G

Stick to your guns on this one. Might be a bumpy road. Did you agree terms for payment.......

M

mikethetile

he ll think of something else you were supposed to supply by tommorrow , grout perhaps LOL

mz30

TF
Arms
Reaction score
God luvs a trier.. any pics..?

Not finished yet mate but will post when am done.

Stick to your guns on this one. Might be a bumpy road. Did you agree terms for payment.......

Yes ,we started it last sat and sunday,he gave me a cheque for what was done on monday,stipulated as i had never done work for him that i wanted paying for each area he wanted doing ,as he cant give me the whole floor due to other trades,so we done around 30m2 on saturday and grouted it sunday,then give him till today to get the rest clear for us,cheque should be clear tomorrow.

he ll think of something else you were supposed to supply by tommorrow , grout perhaps LOL

Yeah and there 600x600 polished porcelain(from b&q :( )so he will be expecting to buy the sealer and wax remover to no doubt

mz30

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi MZ30,
That sounds suspiciously like a builder I know from Southport mate !!!!!

No mate hes from wigan or something,all builders sound the same mate lol,once had one have me drive to derbyshire to tile about 2 m2 and nearly died when i billed him for £200 he thought i was gonna do it on meterage.

Reply to People try it on(especially builders) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen