Currently reading:
Patchy Mapei grout... any ideas?

Search the forum,

Discuss Patchy Mapei grout... any ideas? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

richardbell81

Hi all,

I grouted my bathroom floor tiles last night with Mapei Ultracolor plus (112 medium grey) but it's drying with dark patches everywhere. I've read plenty of posts with people saying the grout has dried with lighter patches which is why I was so careful mixing it and applying it exactly as it said on the bag! I got that specific colour as it was so close to my tiles and I wanted the tile and grout to be as seamless as possible... but this just makes the whole job look bloody awful!

I'm still clinging on to the hope that it will fully dry out by tomorrow but I know deep down this is going to need sorting.

Has this happened to anyone else and if so, is there any way to sort it without having to rake up the whole lot??! I've attached some pictures so you can see what I mean. The patches of lighter grey are what it should look like!

Any help much appreciated and thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_1405.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 1,692
  • IMG_1406.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 850
  • IMG_1407.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 1,130
  • IMG_1408.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 1,646
Last edited by a moderator:
R

richardbell81

I have had similar problems in the past with this grout (Jasmine) and have read a few similar posts reporting the same problem. I had to recolour the grout to solve the issue. I will never use this grout again as I really don't rate it, it's far too sensitive and not user friendly (this is my own opinion).

Im guessing you have to re-colour darker, what did you use out of interest? So annoying as I went out of my way to get this exact colour!!

I

Ian

What grout do you use now Bri..

BAL Micromax, super flex and microflex, basically BAL. I have always used BAL and on the few occasions I've used ultra colour I've had issues, either setting too quickly, drying patchy etc, I also don't like the fact that it needs to be mixed a whole 5kg bag to exactly 1 litre of water, to me that suggests that it's too sensitive. I've read too many posts on here with it going wrong from DIY and pro's. I know a lot of folks on here love it so it must be a decent product, but not for me.

B

bugs183

Just shows how each individual differs when it comes to products. I was always a Bal user, but find i'm less impressed with them after using Mapei! Especially anything with microban.
Did you use a washboy or a sponge to clean the tiles, i'm just wondering if there is process that is stripping the dyes out of the grout regardless of the manufacturer. I've racked my brains, but have no real answer to this problem that seems to happen every now and again to everyone regardless of the make of grout.

R

richardbell81

Just shows how each individual differs when it comes to products. I was always a Bal user, but find i'm less impressed with them after using Mapei! Especially anything with microban.
Did you use a washboy or a sponge to clean the tiles, i'm just wondering if there is process that is stripping the dyes out of the grout regardless of the manufacturer. I've racked my brains, but have no real answer to this problem that seems to happen every now and again to everyone regardless of the make of grout.

I did use a sponge to clean the tiles but it's the fact that its drying darker in patches, not lighter... I.e it cant be that it's removing pigment. If that makes sense.

R

richardbell81

I know, is it worth contacting mapei?

I ordered the grout online as I couldn't find it in that colour in any local shops... When it arrived, the bag did have a hole in although it was delivered in a box. I obviously didn't use any of the powder that had come out of the bag... But I'm wondering if that had anything to do with it. Can't see why as others seem to have had the same problem. I'm just struggling for answers!

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
BAL Micromax, super flex and microflex, basically BAL. I have always used BAL and on the few occasions I've used ultra colour I've had issues, either setting too quickly, drying patchy etc, I also don't like the fact that it needs to be mixed a whole 5kg bag to exactly 1 litre of water, to me that suggests that it's too sensitive. I've read too many posts on here with it going wrong from DIY and pro's. I know a lot of folks on here love it so it must be a decent product, but not for me.

I had the same problem with the Ultra chocolate grout, very patchy. Raked out first thing next morning and re-grouted with a brand I regularly use, Atlas.

R

richardbell81

It may just be excess moisture in the grout. What temp is the room at and is the room prone to humidity? What appliances and utilities do you have in this room or have used in the week or two prior to grouting? Are there windows or a door? Any pets? Anything (even a kettle).

Slightly off topic but a mate recommended PCI grouts. Anybody tried these?

The house is a 1902 mid terrace but it is not being lived in at the moment so no pets and the shower hasn't been used. I can't say that the room is prone to humidity as the door on the bathroom has been removed temporarily so it gets a constant flow of air. Obviously there has been no central heating turned on either so i'm still clinging on to the hope it will take a bit longer to dry out

P

prceramics

I have had similar problems in the past with this grout (Jasmine) and have read a few similar posts reporting the same problem. I had to recolour the grout to solve the issue. I will never use this grout again as I really don't rate it, it's far too sensitive and not user friendly (this is my own opinion).
i have a job next month and the customer has asked for this grout (jasmine) might try and talk her out of it

R

richardbell81

Can you give us a detailed description on how you mixed the grout thanks

1kg of grout with 0.2 litres of water (as per instructions but my floor is only 2.2 square metres so no point mixing a whole bag of 5kg).

Poured the grout into a bucket containing the water, mixed to a peanut butter consistency with a hand trowel (it did seem thicker than BAL grout though).... left it to rest for a few mins... mixed again... then applied with a float.

As an additional note our water in this area is soft water so I can't blame hard water with high mineral content.

C

charlie1

agree bri, ultracolour is messy to work with, falls off the float very easy, generally a messyer grout compaired to the likes of bal. I like bal and sovregn now.

Andrew

TF
surrey
Are you certain 100% bond was achieved on the tile? I used nothing but mapei for years and had this problem on a couple of occasions! If voids are present in the adhesive grout can flow into these areas making that area of grout hold more moisture than the rest, therefore drying unevenly. How long has it been grouted now?
You seem to have followed procedure correctly, so this is all I can think!

R

richardbell81

Are you certain 100% bond was achieved on the tile? I used nothing but mapei for years and had this problem on a couple of occasions! If voids are present in the adhesive grout can flow into these areas making that area of grout hold more moisture than the rest, therefore drying unevenly. How long has it been grouted now?
You seem to have followed procedure correctly, so this is all I can think!

I grouted on tuesday evening and it was still patchy today. I used a standard 20x10x10 u-notch and back buttered all the tiles to ensure 100% coverage! I made sure all the voids were clear i.e no adhesive seeping up the sides... i don't really know what else I could have done! So frustrating! Even if i rake it all out and start again, i'm not sure what I could have done differently!

I suppose use a paddle and bottled water... but it's getting a bit ridiculous when you have to go to these extremes to mix up 1kg of grout!

Reply to Patchy Mapei grout... any ideas? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I‘ve just finished tiling the majority of my garden path. Base is concrete, and tiles are porcelain. I’ve just got to the end of my bag of Mapei flexible rapid set tile adhesive (powdered)...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.