Search the forum,

Discuss Opus Pattern Question in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

Deleted member 54066

If you know what % of each tile size that has be delivered its quite easy to search the Internet and get at least 1 possible multi tile pattern , normally more to choose from.

Reaction score
If you know what % of each tile size that has be delivered its quite easy to search the Internet and get at least 1 possible multi tile pattern , normally more to choose from.
Yeah, it's simple enough to find out ratios and patterns of multi-format tiles, but it still relies upon the tiler picking the correct pattern, and there will be absolutely no instruction on the grout joint size, which is critical on the execution. Cutting-down tiles is simply not an option.

Reaction score
Will - if you are going to follow a repeat pattern and not use the 3 tiles in a random 'Opus' then your diagram is out in bottom left.
As these tiles are usually not made as a design but brought together as you have done, size and colour differences are extremely common. It's nearly always the small square which has to be accommodated into the layout and cutting the mm's off 2 sides of this small tile is the only solution. It can be tiled using a variable joint without spacers and self spacing, but the tighter joint of the small square is often noticeable on a square edge tile. Fortunately travertine and wet saw easily overcome this variation .
Just a question about cutting down a tile to fit. Why would you take on a job with tiles that simply don't work with one another? I certainly wouldn't. That surprises me from some somebody like you who has been in the trade for so long. Do you cut down down tiles over a window when you've made a mistake: to fit?
Sounds odd to me.

D

Deleted member 54066

I would of expected any tiler with experience and skill to make a multi format pattern work without the need for perfect size tiles or written down joint sizes.
Tiles cut and fabricated is something done by many a top tiler to create great looking jobs

D

Dumbo

Just a question about cutting down a tile to fit. Why would you take on a job with tiles that simply don't work with one another? I certainly wouldn't. That surprises me from some somebody like you who has been in the trade for so long. Do you cut down down tiles over a window when you've made a mistake: to fit?
Sounds odd to me.
Maybe he has the skill set and knowledge to do so

H

hmtiling

All multi-format tiles need a pattern and grout joint width specified prior to laying.
If this isn't supplied, then the tiler will have to guess on the best layout pattern. This will result in excess and lack of one or another size of tile.
Chipped-edge travertine tends not to have a grout joint at all, but if you are dealing with any other kind of tile, it is completely necessary to have the correct ratio of tile sizes, a pattern and a grout joint size supplied with the tiles. Cutting down tiles will make for a timely and rubbish-looking job.
Send them back if you don't have all the info supplied with them.
'Chipped Edge travertine tends not to have a grout joint' ? That is nonsense

Reply to Opus Pattern Question in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen