Search the forum,

Discuss Newbuild shower tiling nightmares! in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com.

N

neologic2k

Hi All,

I recently moved into a new build (5 years old) we had a problem with a shower and had a chap round to tank and re tile, on closer inspection the main bathroom has also leaked. I've taken off the tiles and removed all of the blown plasterboard, this has now been replaced with new.

I was thinking about tanking it myself, but then noticed after watching a few videos that the plasterboard is supposed to be behind the shower tray. The builders (B&£@! Homes) have installed the plasterboard in front of the tray, am I right in thinking no matter what I do, I cant tank\seal it without ripping down the other walls and installing the shower tray correctly?

I've added a few pictures of before and what I've done now with plasterboard.

What I'd really like is advice or options please?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_6793.JPG IMG_6813.JPG IMG_6814.JPG IMG_6793.JPG IMG_6794.JPG IMG_6795.JPG IMG_6796.JPG IMG_6798.JPG IMG_6799.JPG IMG_6800.JPG IMG_6801.JPG IMG_6802.JPG IMG_6803.JPG IMG_6805.JPG IMG_6808.JPG IMG_6810.JPG

Chalker

TF
Arms
Tadcaster
That's an upstand tray, so the plasterboard should line up with the inside edge. Looking at your pics, it does.
Personally, I would have removed all the board and replaced with waterproof insulation boards. But you will be ok tanking what you have there.
Use Ardex WP to tank. Firstly, mix a small amount and fill the gap between the board and tray ( mask off the tray first)
Once that has set, use the fibreglass tape in the corners and over the plasterboard to shower tray junction. Also tape over joins in the boarding. Then tank the lot and tile

T

Time's Ran Out

From the original work shown the main reason for the failure is the small cut of tiles at the shower tray. This is a disaster waiting to happen and you must bridge the gap to a sufficient height to make the bottom cut watertight and secure.
The wall plaster needs to be primed and a water resistant adhesive and grout used.
Make sure this tray is solidly fixed/supported as even the smallest movement will result in the same issue. IMG_1497.PNG

Reply to Newbuild shower tiling nightmares! in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
I like DIY projects. Figured I'd try my hand at removing cracked grout in my shower and replace it with caulk. To remove the old grout I used a oscillating tool with diamond edged grout remover...
Replies
Views
Daniels
D
  • Question
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. Over the years I've used the good advice that I've read on this forum but with my current project I am a bit stumped. I am renovating an ensuite, it's...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays