Search the forum,

Discuss Newbie tiler :- What to buy from screwfix in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jonnywells

The floor is currently 6mm plywood and its good nick (Under it i think its floorboard, its a fairly new house and has got raised a raised floor)

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hi johhnny,,6mm ply is too thin to tile onto even if it is in good nick mate,if your fixing ceramics i would replace the 6mm ply with 12mm wpbp ply screwd to the floorboards,adhesive would be a flexible cement based adhesive,dont buy rapid set just ask the supplier for one with a good bucket life giving you time to tile at your own speed,,i would also advise to use the same adhesive for the walls,i would stay away from the tubbed ready mixed adhesives johnny as tempting as they may be for easiness you cant pack out dips and hollows in the walls with them to keep your tiles nice and straight but if you use the bagged powedered adhesive i mentioned then you can with this.

mapei keraquik is a good one and a nice pot life,tile giant sell it and a fair bit cheaper than anything out of topps mate also dont forget to ask for primer from the shop also for your plywood floor mate dont use pva

C

Colour Republic

The floor is currently 6mm plywood and its good nick (Under it i think its floorboard, its a fairly new house and has got raised a raised floor)

It's not an ideal substrate to tile on, the main thing to look out for is deflection in the floor (i.e. bounce), It's hard to say without seeing your floor construction and how well it has been built but in a lot of cases new houses (less than 25 years) are constructed with smaller timbers than in previous years and do sometimes have a lot more bounce to them. There are many ways to minimise deflection but sadly 6mm ply does nothing more than create a flat surface to tile on to, it doesn't strentghen the floor so to speak. Some pictures are always very handy when trying to advise anbody on what the best course of action would be, so if you have the time i'm sure the members on here will give their opinions:thumbsup:

P

Peter

Screwfix is expensive for most stuff, and from seeing their adhesives in the book it doesn't seem too cheap there either. Probably get a better price on adhesive going to a local tile shop.

B

Burnsy

If I were you, id:

- Change ply foe 15mm or 6mm cement board

- Use a slow set powder with a flexible admixture

- Flexible grout or standard grout with admix

- For walls, id be priming with acrylic primer (not PVA) and using a slow setting cement based (bagged) adhesive. If the walls are in very good condition - i.e - PERFECTLY FLAT, as a DIYer maybe a bucket adhesive.

- Silicone corners

I wouldnt buy any adhesive from Screwfix. Go to a local tile shop and get all your materials. You could ask a local tiler to get all your materials and bung him a tenner as a thanks, will save quite a bit of doing this. :8:

T

TT Tiling

get a pro in mate ,saves time money and your get the right job done , then just say you did it any way ,lol joking

Reply to Newbie tiler :- What to buy from screwfix in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen