Search the forum,

Discuss New tiler with a few questions... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

ryanclarke

Hi...Just been up to NETT today for a chat with Tracey and a look around the place. All looks spot on and Tracey is a smashing lass! I was just wondering if anybody has trained with these guys and is now making a career out of tiling, and how long after the course finished were they up and running. Also any rough figures as to what it cost to start up on your own as I am selling my current business and looking to move into Tiling. Already got some great tips off this forum so thanks everyone. Any advice appreciated. :8: Cheers Ryan

T

Turkish

Hi Ryan, check out the training feedback on this website, sure you`ll find out what you`re looking for there. As for start up costs well depends on what tools you buy but as a very ball park figure i spent around £1500 but that didn`t include a van as i use my car at the moment. Hope this helps!

Turkish:thumbsup:

G

grayd6

hello mate .i done the nett course in january and thought it was quite good .have done two jobs since (one big one small) its not much but i also work fulltime as a forklift instructor. anyway i am happy to take my time at the moment and build up my knowledge .just had some cards printed and my best mates a plumber so see what happens.as for the course if you have a bit of tiling knowledge i think you could possibly go on to be a tiler. but for people to turn up for a 4 day course thinking that they can walk away to set up straight away is probably unrealistic .

Last edited by a moderator:

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
Reaction score
I will speak for all the training centres here, everyone is different and have different abilities to learn, some pick things up quickly others dont, depends on how practical you are in the first place, doesnt mean you have to be a practical tiler just handy at DIY, Once you leave a course it is really down to yourself weather you have the confidence to go out self employed, some people will never make that jump no matter how good they are as it can be a scarey place to be without the security of a regular wage, on the other hand there are those that take the plunge and have the drive to succeed and go and find the work and learn more along the way, any training centre can only guide you on what to expect on a real paid job, it is different when you get out there but like any new job that you take on, it will take you time to learn how to do it quicker, we have had people that have come with no experience of putting a tile on and go out straight away and do very well, other go out there and dont do so well, everyone does the same course and learns the same skills which comes back to its down to the individual on how much you want it to work, if you still are doing your old job and tiling on a weekend then you will never develop your full potential as you havent got the time to promote , market yourself the correct way.
You will only get out of life what you put into it, there is no easy way of making money, you HAVE to go out and earn it, unfortunatly
Hope this is of some help
Darren

R

ryanclarke

Thanks everyone. Once my current business is sold I'm going to hit it all guns blazing!! Wish me luck!

A

ad tiling

wise words from Darren as always, plus you need to know what
your taking about when you go to a customers house and be ready
for there stupid questions ,
as for start up costs i only spend about £350 on tools made that back
in my first weekend

A

andy-h

i went on the NETT course end of feb & only had a few slack days & up to now only done natural stone started a job tuesday 2 utility rooms one got boarded out the other got done with self leveler then tiled 30 2m i supplied adhesive & finished job yesterday & walked away with £1200, then this morn went round to a friends house & tiled fire place base with 100 x 100 travertine,by the way the utility rooms were tiled with 400 x400 travertine.

Reply to New tiler with a few questions... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen