Search the forum,

Discuss New Rail Saw in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

gamma38

TF
Reaction score
As the title says, i'm going to invest in a rail saw and i was wondering how many people have them, how good they are etc?? It needs to be able to mitre as well, and be used wet or dry with reasonable dust extraction. Up to now i've only looked at the Flex CS60 and the Marcrist STC185. The Rubi is already out of the running as it won't mitre. Cheers for any replies.

O

Old Mod

Hey Paul,
There are blades that fit your TS55 that will cut stone mate.
Can't remember the details off hand, but Alan (ATS) knows the ins and outs!

gamma38

TF
Reaction score
Hey Marc. Yes I thought about doing that. I still might. I have spoken to them before about there blades for the festool. They are smaller in diameter from memory so you lose some depth of cut. I will be doing a fair bit of mitreing using some thicker materials so i need a reasonable depth.

O

Old Mod

Yeah wasn't sure if we'd spoke before about it.
If I had my time again I'd look at the Flex, mainly cos it's aimed at the stone trade and they've been making stone tools for ever!
Don't know anyone who has one tho mate, sorry can't be more help.
Good luck haha

S

StevieBoy

As the title says, i'm going to invest in a rail saw and i was wondering how many people have them, how good they are etc?? It needs to be able to mitre as well, and be used wet or dry with reasonable dust extraction. Up to now i've only looked at the Flex CS60 and the Marcrist STC185. The Rubi is already out of the running as it won't mitre. Cheers for any replies.

I don't particularly see the need for one. I've used one, yes but they are very messy and you can only really use them outside and for what? They don't do much more than a wet cutter, a manual rubi or a dry cutting blade in a mini grinder.

The last one I tried on some really hard porcelain tiles from Porcelanosa was a Rubi one and it was rubbish, it cut the tile 3mm shorter on one end that's how good they are.

Why do you want to be mitring? Plenty of trims around nowadays.

S

Spud

I have a marcrist one I will lend you if you like
The saw is good and has plenty of power , it fits on to the bosch fsn rails
Don't expect a great result mitring porcelain with a rail saw even of you clamp your work piece and clamp the rail tightly the porcelain will always push the blade away from its self you will be far better just using a grinder and wet sponge and doing it free hand then finishing with a polisher
You need the clamps as well as the saw and the rail and you should also buy a 15 ltr pressure spray bottle like the diamond drilling guys have OX tools make one and they cost about 40 quid to buy , you need to cut the cuts half way through the tile and then finish the cut on the second or third pass to get the best results in terms of accuracy

S

Spud

They are handy stevie for jobs where you haven't the space for a wet cutter and you can cut dustless with the correct vacuum equipment

S

StevieBoy

A wet cutter takes up what probably a space of 500mm x 500mm at most.

Cutting dustless I'm all for, but can you really do that with a rail saw ?

Reply to New Rail Saw in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen