Search the forum,

Discuss new build in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

saintdom

hey folks and a happy new year to you all.

i know pricng on this forum is a no no but i would like some help please.
Got a call today to go round and price up a kitchen floor and whole bathroom.

new build with 300s i think thats what he said anyway.
Now admitatly things are slow at the min and i could do with this as if ido a decent job there are 9 more flats to be done.

what sort of price should i be looking at each flat has 32 sq meters.
would you charge sq m rate including materials or not.

i dont want to go too low like commercial but dont want to loose it either.

any help would be much appreciated.

D

DHTiling

we don't say it is a NO NO...just if we try to keep pricing off the public sections of the forums then joe soap( customers) doesn't get to know what tilers are charging etc ..as some area's differ from others....so if a price is seen then a customer expects that price in all area's....if you see what i mean....

So if anybody can help saintdom then please pm him....if you reply here then so be it...but don't complain when a customer sez well i have seen this price on the net,,,lol lol lol...

We have a pricing forum within the tilers arms...and if a fixers wants access ..then just pm Me or dan to gain access,,we require company details etc and we DO check up sometimes..

B

brian c

I know its a new build but do you need to do any prep work or tanking,what type of tile is it ,does it need sealing,this will help also.

S

saintdom

they dont want tanking but will be using SBR.
ceramic tiles on walls and porcelain on floors.
pretty bog standard
300x250s

310x310 thats about all i know until i go and have a look im afraid.

D

doug boardley

have you any idea what other tilers in your area are charging. It helps to have a yardstick to what local demand will pay

S

saintdom

yeah doug , i know what the going rate is around here but would it differ it i was doing 10 flats, would you class that as commercial therefore lower the rate or just keep it as domestic

P

Polished

Hi Saintdom for what it's worth while I'm not in the trade but on the other side of the fence. From purely a business point of view If it's 10 flats in total it's still 10 flats - and the time it takes per flat will ( hopefully) decrease as each one is done ( of course if they are all alike size wise etc) From your viewing and sizing up of the Job you'll see what the potential problems akward areas are etc . You can then make a decision to charge the going rate for the initial job and add in a discount for each other one if the job goes ahead. 5-10% per job so might end up the customer gets one done for Free if you carry with my thinking - to me as a commercial property owner thats not a bad deal. Do a good job, happy customer and then gets around by word of mouth.
You are not underselling yourself then, you still need a days pay for a days work :)

S

saintdom

good advice there polished , thanks

well had a look , it was 9sq m kitchen floor. 310s
24 sq m walls in bathroom , and 4.5 bathroom floor.
all with the same cream tile. thought it would look awful to be fair , top to bottom.

bathroom had a fair amount of boxing in which always taes me longer than it should and the grout lines had to match floor and wall.

im relatively green to this game but i thought everything was more than do able until your man said the tiles wont be here till tuesday morning and it need to be all tiled, grouted and siliconed by friday afternoon.

this is probably more than doable for you experienced fellas but i was just not confident i woul have it done to a high standard. i was a real shame but told him i dont like rushing , therefore compromising my work.

could have ended up being a good little number but not for me.

Reply to new build in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen