Search the forum,

Discuss New ATS diamond tools vacuum dry core drills tested in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Q

Qwerty

Alan from ATS diamond tools sent me a handful of new and untested vacuum brazed diamond core drills to test. These are different from the existing dry core drills in that they are designed for use in a drill (speed over 1500rpm).

I was very impressed! I was drilling into a full bodied vitrified porcelain tile.

Alan sent me 1 of each of the following - 6mm, 8mm, 10mm & 12mm (A bits). He also sent me 1x6mm bit (B bit).

I started off using my SDS (normal drilling mode) but soon changed over to my 18v Makita cordless. Even though this only has a 1300rpm top speed, it was far easier to drill with this. Not sure if that is because my SDS is so heavy or because there is very little feedback when drilling.

I started off with the 'B' 6mm bit. Even though this was the first bit I tried I didn't really like it. It seemed a bit vague and didn't cut too well. I gave up after starting the third hole with this bit. The two holes it did cut were quite good but it seemed to struggle quite quickly.

I then moved onto the 'A' 6mm bit. This cut with ease. The wax core was working really well to cool the bit and each hole cut consistently and cleanly. I moved onto the 8mm bit which seemed much the same as the 6mm. Nothing noticeably negative to say about either of these really.

The 10 & 12mm bits weren't as good initially as the two smaller bits. They were very difficult to start off and wanted to stray a lot. Once they had cut in, they cut with ease. I did notice though that they had a habit of chipping the face of the tile where chunks of the core were being ejected out of the side. These both had an issue of the last bit of the core getting stuck in the bit which then never came out. I carried on drilling and found with the 10 & 12mm bits that after around 5 holes the cores "jammed" in the core with no way of me getting them out.

All in all I am very impressed with these bits, but mainly the two smaller sizes. They are more versatile than the angle grinder bits and seemed to cut better too! Thanks Alan

Alan from ATS Diamond Tools will be able to clarify any points such as differences between the A & B bits etc

Q

Qwerty

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407431816.465282.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407431830.416878.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407431843.815589.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407431854.468069.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407431866.834426.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407431879.151684.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407431891.602913.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407431900.853848.jpg

C

Concrete guy

Thanks for posting the review Geoff.

A & B were different grades of diamond, we wanted to see what the difference was and it seems it's quite obvious.

We're looking at these at 6mm, 7mm & 8mm. I think the larger sizes are better in our existing M14 range due to the core ejection issues.

We would like to know how many holes they produce so please keep using them until destruction.

If anyone else has a number of holes to drill in porcelain and feels they can add some testing to this thread we we have the following test pieces available:-

1 x 6mm
2 x 8mm
2 x 10mm
2 x 12mm

Send me a message with your details and we'll get them out. Please only ask if you can run a proper test on them rather than just pick up a freebie!

S

Stef

I'm currently doing a test for Alan on a 6, 8, 10 & 12mm dry cores.
I've not got the final results as of yet, I spent 2 & a half hours in my garage & still haven't finished over all test but what I did find out was quite interesting.
I don't use dry cores as I prefer to use water to cool my cores down so I was going in a bit blind with nothing to gauge test against.
The test tile was a Butech porcelain grade 5.

1st up was the 6mm bit, a bit of a disaster as I didn't realise my makita 18v was on hammer so took the end of the core off almost straight away, did manage almost 3 holes.
80b7ee00d727f9538f06955cd1282a62.jpg

Next up was the 8mm & it just kept going & going, it gave up after 41 holes.
These holes were one straight after the other & had no time to cool down, put the bit through my tuff tub a couple of times to see how warm it got.
4cbba199287c2894b3e8f2956e8cccf9.jpg

I next tried the 10mm but a piece of porcelain got stuck during the second hole that I couldn't get out.

I then moved onto the 12mm & although I had pieces stuck in it it did clear if you kept at it.
I cored 32 holes one after the other & had to give up as my hand was too sore & I thought I was going to burn my drill out.
d517aafa8a22717ccf03e23810ddb14c.jpg

6b1177a3524c77d9928bc9a6764a7188.jpg

fca2031ec04d83d1bb06f36b9a9f0aea.jpg

All in all I was impressed with these dry cores & I think they will be appearing in the back of my van soon.

C

Concrete guy

Thanks very much Stef I really appreciate the time you've taken to run these. I'll make a note to add a "hammer action" warning:thumbsup:

Your problems with the 10mm bit and a core getting stuck echoed Geoffs findings. As such we've decided to start stocking these in three sizes, 6mm, 7mm & 8mm and leave the larger sized holes to our M14 fitting bits.

These are the most common volume sizes anyway and make up a nice 3 piece set covering the common rawlplug sizes.

When the stock arrives in about 4 weeks time I'll send a few to both you and Geoff as a thanks for running the tests for us.

S

Stef

Cheers Alan..
I must admit I thought these cores would give up after 10/12 holes. I was begging for the 8mm to give up as my hand was aching & I honestly thought my drill was going to burn out but it just kept going & going.
In every day use these cores won't get anywhere near the abuse I gave them tonight so will last even longer.

Remember this was grade 5 porcelain & that's some going.
What is the substance inside the cores?
Is it a cooling gel of some sort?
This is how warm they get with nonstop coring.
f7cd9e518142777f4ce83dc23997bd80.jpg

C

Concrete guy

What is the substance inside the cores?
Is it a cooling gel of some sort?

It's a kind of wax that acts as a heat sink.

Vacuum Brazing the diamonds mean they can cope with far more heat than electroplated (which is why electroplated are used with water - to stop overheating which breaks the bond holding the diamond to the shaft).

You can still burn out a VB bit though, we've come across this with our 6mm and 8mm M14 bits. A little too much pressure and it sends you over the critical temperature. So what the wax does is draw some of the heat from the head, not a huge amount but just enough to keep the bit below critical temperature.

It extends the lifespan of the bit further than we thought.

We figured if we could produce something that would reliably produce 30+ holes dry then it would be a useful product and solve problems with really dense tiles.

Reply to New ATS diamond tools vacuum dry core drills tested in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen