Currently reading:
Miss Coat on walls

Discuss Miss Coat on walls in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

hi

started tiling as a career a year or so ago now and have found this forum a lot of help very informative

i have a kitchen splash back to do in a couple of weeks. the customer had already put a miss coat on the walls before looking at the job as its a new extension they wasnt sure whether to tile or upstand the kitchen but now want to go ahead with tiling. now i know tiling onto a painted surface is not the one and am i right in thinking this rule still applys for a miss coat?

do i need to try and remove as much of this miss coat as possible and then prime the wall prior to tiling?

thanks in advance

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
Who is Miss Coat? Ha ha! You mean 'mist'.

You are correct, you need to remove this paint mechanically. Try using a really cheap flexible scraper (you can get 3 for a pound at the £ shop). I find that those bladed scrapers dig into the plaster.

On one occasion my customer was an artist and he had loads of sticky backed plastic. We put it on the wall and ripped it off a few mins later......it worked, but it was expensive plastic.

Then prime with SBR and tile.

Who is Miss Coat? Ha ha! You mean 'mist'.

You are correct, you need to remove this paint mechanically. Try using a really cheap flexible scraper (you can get 3 for a pound at the £ shop). I find that those bladed scrapers dig into the plaster.

On one occasion my customer was an artist and he had loads of sticky backed plastic. We put it on the wall and ripped it off a few mins later......it worked, but it was expensive plastic.

Then prime with SBR and tile.

Haha typo my bad

thanks for reply thought this would be the case i have plenty of the decorators scrapers so will score and remove

Reply to Miss Coat on walls in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement