Search the forum,

Discuss Metro tiles grout size for a London Underground look in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Hi guys,
I want to do put metro tiles on a wall in my office to emulate a London Underground station look. I'm using regular metro tiles 10cmx20cm, and I'm wondering what size the grout should be. Everybody on the forum recommends 2mm, but I'm wondering if 3mm would more closely emulate the look of the Underground station like Oxford Circus, Notting Hill Gate or Camden Town for example. What do you think and what do you suggest? Here are some inspiration photos.

Thank you all in advance!

6b2e8d45ba35e95174a0468212024815.jpg

bigstock-Subway-Station-31308134.jpg

NGGbench.jpg

Unknown.jpg

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
OOooo I think BAL had the adhesive contract and used (and even contributed towards inventing the product for due to constant vibration of passing trains) BAL Fastflex, and H&R Johnsons installation team (now defunct) won the actual Tiling Contract.

Some guys will still be knocking around who fixed those tiles.

That said, I pointed this out the other day, then @Lou made me realise that the underground has been continually worked on for decades. So it actually could have been anybody from back then until now who had that particular station contract. So not actually as helpful as I'd hoped maybe. :D

It does look way thicker than 2 3 or even 4mm. Maybe 5mm? Maybe more.

I assume to counteract any undulations in tile size difference as they would have used a hell of a lot of batches for the whole underground! And need repair them quite often etc.

The tiles for Notting Hill look not as wide as Oxford too there. Not sure if that's an image-bending thing with the camera lens or they're actually different tile sizes. Maybe one metric one imperial. Not sure.

So I think if you were copying it, you'd have quite a free reign to be honest each station would look a bit different.

Thank you all so much your advice, you are a very kind and friendly bunch. :) I understand that a lot of people on this forum prefer the 2mm that is why I wasn't sure in the first place. And I get it that to some people it looks better, but would it be better at emulating the London Underground kind of vibe? Based on all of your replies I'm guessing that 3mm would be closer to that look.

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Glasgow
I think you may have to add further features if you want it to have the look of the underground other than the width of the groutline, or will just look like a tiled wall that you see in most kitchens, bathrooms, Restaurant or even public loo's. It's never the thought I ever have when I see these tiles and the grout line wouldn't make me think otherwise 🤷‍♂️.

Perhaps a print of the underground sign?

I think you may have to add further features if you want it to have the look of the underground other than the width of the groutline, or will just look like a tiled wall that you see in most kitchens, bathrooms, Restaurant or even public loo's. It's never the thought I ever have when I see these tiles and the grout line wouldn't make me think otherwise 🤷‍♂️.

Perhaps a print of the underground sign?

Yes yes, sure. I have accumulated some old London Underground signs over the years. I got one in Camden a couple of years ago, also got an old street sign in Covent garden in 2011. I have a lot of stuff, it won't only be the tiles. :) I just wanted to try and make it as authentic as possible.

That sounds pretty cool! make sure you come back and show us please 😁

You just need to source a wonky bench and some yellow & black tape now 🤣

Also google Glasgows underground map and compare it to London if you want a giggle 🤭

Will do.
I'm sure yellow and black tape would be easy to find. It might really tie the room together. 😂

I've seen the Glasgow subway map before. The orange line. :)

O

Old Mod

I just wanted to try and make it as authentic as possible.

Then I’d be down the tube with my measuring sticK. 😊

Just take a clip board, and wear a hard hat, no one will take any notice of you measuring grout joint widths. 😂😂

Does sound kinda kool tho, be great to see the finished project please.

It would emulate the underground ,as you d never notice the difference ,what colour is the grout ,you know

The grout would be grey, not too dark grey but kind of darkish grey.
[automerge]1571391794[/automerge]
why not go the whole hog and have an extinction rebellion move in !

I'll have a cardboard cutout made. A couple of cardboard protesters to complete the look. :tearsofjoy:

Before I'd seen @Protiler 68 's and @MissTiler 's posts, I told my tiler to go for the 3mm spacers. And then, while I was thinking about whether to go for 2mm after all he had already started installing them. So now it's 3mm. But when I saw them it kind of looked like 4mm almost. In some places it even was 4mm. Here are some pictures, it is not yet finished of course. My only worry is that the spacing will appear even larger when the grouting is done. What do you think?

IMG_8419.jpg

IMG_8432.jpg

IMG_8435.jpg

IMG_8436.jpg

IMG_8438.jpg

IMG_8439.jpg

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Personally I think that looks great. I'm certain the underground use the bigger of their options. I guess looking at yours it must be 3mm but looks in places like 4mm, just like yours.

I'd go with that. The grout line looks alright to me. I can't see it looking anything but spot on once the grout is in.

Personally I think that looks great. I'm certain the underground use the bigger of their options. I guess looking at yours it must be 3mm but looks in places like 4mm, just like yours.

I'd go with that. The grout line looks alright to me. I can't see it looking anything but spot on once the grout is in.

Cheers Dan. Thank you for the reply. I'll send some pictures when the grouting is done. :)

My tiler has started putting in the grout, and the grout line looks huge. With the grout in it looks like the spacing between the tiles is 4-5mm. It's so big, I'm considering taking them all down and redoing everything. I'm just waiting for it to be completely grouted and then I will decide, maybe it's just first impression. So far, it's not promising. It was fine before the grout though. Will send pictures as soon as it's done, here are some where it's partially done. You can clearly see the difference between the grouted and ungrouted areas. In person it's much more noticeable though. Cheers!

image0-2.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image6.jpeg

Some of the older stations with original subway tiles have sand and cement joints bigger than that.

But I think the tiles themselves are bigger also? If I'm not mistaken. This looks bigger than Bond Street/Camden/or Oxford Circus that were supposed to inspire this. Maybe it's not actually bigger, but it looks bigger.

I've measured the grout, it's definitely 4mm now for some reason, somewhere even 5mm. It's not 3mm as I originally wanted. So as a warning to all the people wondering about what spacers to use for bevelled metro tiles, 2mm spacers will give you 3mm grout lines, and 3mm spacers will give you 4mm grout lines. At least in my limited experience.

Reply to Metro tiles grout size for a London Underground look in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement