Discuss Advice on porcelain tile movement. Grout coming out of tiles. in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
No more ply instructions.

https://sts-uk.com/amfilerating/file/download/file_id/4/

Overboarding timber floors.

If it’s not carried out like this
No more ply instructions.

https://sts-uk.com/amfilerating/file/download/file_id/4/

Overboarding timber floors.

If it’s not carried out like this its not right.

Thank you for the link and all the help I’ve honestly been at a loss as I have no knowledge of any sort of trade. Looks like more heated discussions are on the horizon. Your help and knowledge is much appreciated.

T

Time's Ran Out

B8AAFEAB-C2C6-4EE4-AE5E-D392F56BE616.png
Just about sums up their care and attention!

Reaction score
I would insist that the first attempt is completely removed and started again from the floorboards.
There is nothing wrong with no more ply, so don’t worry about that part.
It must be installed as the instructions.

Thank you again for all your help and advice. Looks like more heated discussions will need to be had as it’s now clearly a money saving operation on their part. Your advice is much appreciated.

Reaction score
the last photo looks like he has overboarded the dots of adhesive.

It’s all getting a bit confusing as to how many layers you have. Whatever happens, you can’t just screw a bit of board onto dots of adhesive and hope for the best. Shortsighted thinking. There is no quick fix to this. No magic board. Just logic and manufacturers instructions.

I’ve also lost count of how many layers I have. The full situation is just a nightmare just wanted it fixed and have what we paid for especially with having kids in the house in the run up to Christmas. Some people don’t have a heart it seems. Thank you for taking the time to reply I genuinely do appreciate each and every bit of help I am getting.

Reaction score
It doesn’t look as though there is any adhesive/levelling material under any of those ‘pads’ thus creating voids.

I think they have just screwed the boards on top of what was already there. So my concern is we’re just going to have the same issue if the job is done using this method.

Reaction score
Wt absolute hell (public forum) is going on...nomoreply just screwed over old adhesive UFH and 6mm ply... Seriously time to get these idiots out of your house and employ someone that knows what they're doing..

I wish I could afford to get them out now but the amount of money we have paid out for the full downstairs renovation I couldn’t even afford to get someone in to sort this. Which is why I am basically at the project managers mercy :( he offered to refund £3000 but that wouldn’t even cover the original job starting from a blank canvas never mind someone having to come in now at this stage and rectify all the issues before even beginning to add the cost of them starting from scratch again.

Reaction score
If there is any movement due to the voids, the screw heads will just pull through as they haven’t used any washers.

When walking on it just now I can feel movement. The best way I can describe it is it’s like there’s almost a bounce in the floor when waking across the boards that have been put down today.

T

Time's Ran Out

Get everything in writing ie offers etc as you may need evidence of guilt further down the line.
No movement is required.

Reaction score
Get everything in writing ie offers etc as you may need evidence of guilt further down the line.

A lot of the communication has been done via text message including the original price we were being charged for the floor. Would they not doubt would I have to get them to physically put everything down on paper? Again sorry for all the questions and bombarding the thread but we’re over £20,000 down on this project and around £5000 of that went originally on paying him for the tiles and paying the tiler. Now he’s offering £3000 when there’s much more work involved now than when we had bare floorboards.

W

Waluigi

I would get a couple of professionals round to give you a full written quote to give you the finished product you would like including all remedial works. Then try to offset some of the cost by getting as much back from this builder as possible. Honestly I wouldn’t entertain the idea of him doing any more work for you. He’s well out of his depth. Whoever is doing the work is trying his best but in reality doesn’t have the first idea of what he is doing.

Reaction score
It needs taking back to original floor and starting a fresh from there, no ifs or buts..

I just need to get him to agree to that as he said he wasn’t willing to pay any more than £3000 to either us on a refund or on him fixing it then when he got the new tiler in he apparently upped it slightly ‘to get it done right’ so I don’t see him agreeing to paying out more money on getting all they new boards back up and stripping that back to bare. I don’t know how I can make him do what needs to be done no matter what :( sounds so pathetic in the grand scheme of things but he’s ruining my children’s run up to Christmas and that’s what I hate most about this whole situation.

Reply to Advice on porcelain tile movement. Grout coming out of tiles. in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks