Search the forum,

Discuss Light Weight Adhesives..... Any Downsides? in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

T

Tile Shop

Ola boys and girls.

Been trying to clue myself up on a few adhesive brands. And it seems that Tilemaster is the weapon of choice for the majority, so I'll use them as an example.

They do the Light Weight Rapid and Light Weight Standard. Its a lighter bag and covers 60% more than a 20kg equivalent by using significantly more water. Compared to the Setaflex, would there be any drawbacks or any situation where it couldn't be used? Based on what i've seen in other threads, the setaflex seems to be one of the most universally used. What can Setaflex do that Light Weight can't?

Also, what is the approximate price difference (% only, not exact prices please) between the two?

To me it seems like a nobrainer to go with the lighter bags and better coverage, but maybe I'm missing something? What are your thoughts and experiences?

S

Spud

the light weight does give a higher yield so you do get more adhesive out of a bag than a standard bag of seta flex , the grab is good so it has good antislip properties , I prefer to use it on walls as opposed to floors , I dont know why but I think it is because there is more water in it when mixed it seems to shrink back a bit , it also skins over quicker than seta flex and all surfaces need priming as I find water is drawn out of the adhesive more readily on most substrates causing it to dry out quickly
That said it is a very nice adhesive to work with I have used it a lot for large format tiles and also for contract wall tiling jobs and have had no problems at all with it

T

Tile Shop

Thanks Gary..... Now I just need to find a local stockist for when I (eventually) get started.

Whilst using family as guinea pigs in the past I've only ever used 2 adhesives (and the work kitchen walls before xmas). Both our own brand, rapid and standard set (made by Palace). But I have my own conservatory to have a crack at and possibly a rip-out and redo of a friends kitchen very soon. Would be good to try something different and experiment a bit for when I get round to scrapping the desk job and getting my hands dirty for a living.

S

Spud

I was at my mates yard today and he had the palace easy flex there I haven't used it it for a good few years but noticed they have added fibres to it , he really rates it as a good standard setting adhesive so I want to give it a try to see what it's like these days

Reply to Light Weight Adhesives..... Any Downsides? in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen