Search the forum,

Discuss Leak from Shower in to Kitchen Ceiling in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

Umeet2000

Hi all

We have been having this problem since we moved in to our house 2 years ago.

We noticed water coming through our kitchen light in our kitchen one day. We got a plumber round and he identified some loose tiles in our shower cubicle. We replaced the loose tiles and the problem resolved itself.

12 months later we got our downstairs Kitchen and Living room renovated with an extension too. Whilst the work was ongoing there seemed to be another leak in to the Kitchen. Luckily as it was a construction site it did not cause too much damage. It looked like the issue came from movement in the wall as here were some loose tiles (different wall to the first problem). When we removed the tiles the wall was very wet. We dried the wall, put in some new backer board and got it retiled. And put an extra layer of corner tiles in to make it as sealed as possible. The problem seemed to be resolved again.

Now it is another 9 months and we have a watermark in our kitchen ceiling (newly remodelled!!!) I have looked at the tiling and there does not appear to be any cracks or loose tiles. There is one that is slightly moving when i push it.

I just don't know what to do - do i try and break some more tiles to trace when the water is sealing through? Do I rip out the current shower and tray and replace it so i have peace of mind? Do I try and go through insurance?

Thanks
Umeet

T

Time's Ran Out

'There is one that is slightly moving when I push it' - sounds like you've identified the problem.
With the ongoing scenario you've mentioned I'd suggest a complete strip out.

C

Colour Republic

if you've already retiled (and assuming it was tiled and sealed correctly) then the problem might lie elsewhere, especially seeing as it seems to reappear after a number of months, such as the tray not being supported well enough and moving

Looks like a full rip out to get to the bottom of it seeing as the repairs haven't made much difference over the long run.

J

jollyroger

Rip out and get a pro in. Your shower needs to be properly tanked and tiled. Trying to "fix" it now and again will not make the situation any better.

cam_low

TF
Reaction score
I'll be working over Hemel Hempstead from November 6th onwards for a week or so. Could always call in and have a look but the advice given above is where you are at !

W

White Room

I'll be working over Hemel Hempstead from November 6th onwards for a week or so. Could always call in and have a look but the advice given above is where you are at !

Let us know where you are and I'll pop in and say hello...then you can make me a cuppa:smilewinkgrin:

A

AMtek

the tiling is one of the last things i would be looking at to be fair. If the plaster/ plasterboard was replaced with backer board then was it dropped in behind the tray and sealed between the tray and board before tiling? were both walls in the shower area replaced with backerboard? have you tried dropping the trap off the tray and sealing it again? is the silicone between the tiles and tray intact? better to get in the shower and have a look as the tray can drop slightly with a person in it and open up a split in the silicone

A

AMtek

Try spraying the shower hose straight into the trap for a good while and see if you get water coming through the ceiling, if not then its the walls or the silicone work

Reply to Leak from Shower in to Kitchen Ceiling in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen