Search the forum,

Discuss Layout help please (picture included) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

petey

Hi.

I'm soon to start work tiling my tiny bathroom and would like some advice on setting out. I'm only tiling where the shower-bath is to go, so very little tiling and I am also lucky because the room dimensions are almost exact multiple of a tile so wont have to cut any etc.

Tiles are 200 x 400, one wall in light creamy grey, the other in darker grey, with a border line of long mosaics in a similar dark grey. (They're all from the same range so they do work together well). I've attached a drawing of the proposed lay-out but have a couple of Qs.

1) How many rows of normal tiles should I have above the bath before I run the mosaics around? Two normal rows first, as in drawing, or just one?

2) Should the light grey wall have the tiles stacked up in vertical rows (as in drawing) or should I arrange them in stretcher-bond fashion?

3) As the darker wall is smaller, would it look weird just having two tiles in vertical rows? Should I arrange that in a stretcher-bond format ? Would this help tie it in to the border mosaics - which are all random stretcher-bond mini-tiles ( see drawing)

Many thanks for any tips.

Attachments

• bath.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 53
D

doug boardley

if I had to alter it, I'd make the cut to the bath top a little narrower so it matches the ceiling cut, otherwise looks good mate:thumbsup:

R

Rich

As above Petey, there is no right or wrong with this one, it is totally down to how you want the room to look. As long as you avoid small cuts where you can and take the time to make a good job of it, it will look great :thumbsup:

M

michaelb4348

Noticed you said they wont have to be cut as they measure ok for full tiles. Just be careful the walls dont run out or you may be left with gaps if it does.

G

garretridge

looks good but walls are never true so you probably will have cut tiles at either end of the wall space them with half a tile or more if possible!:thumbsup:

D

DHTiling

Have you allowed for grout joints..?

I would leave the cut at the top..not that small and better to have a nice tile at the bath .

J

jamie B

Have you allowed for grout joints..?

I would leave the cut at the top..not that small and better to have a nice tile at the bath .

agree..always go for whole tile out of the bath where possible.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

agree..always go for whole tile out of the bath where possible.

I agree Jamie, but a lot of plumbers I follow, keep their levels in the freezer over night to keep the bubble in the middle:lol::lol::lol:

J

jamie B

yeah..that's so true..last big site I did I ended up contra charging for leveling pretty much every bath!:incazzato:

S

Scott

I tend to put the border at hip height, too high and it can make the room feel as of the ceiling is too low.

Full tile of the bath for me always, i put my own baths is as my level wont fit in the freezer :thumbsup:

Reply to Layout help please (picture included) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen