Search the forum,

Discuss Laying plank wood effect tiles in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
You should only start and finish with a cut tile. Everything bewteen a full tile 👍

Perfect, so I'm not doubting myself, the first tile I'll lay will be a full tile and I'll continue to lay full lengths until i get to the other end of the wall which will need to be cut short to fit

And then the second row until the end will be off cuts at the start and end, in between will be full length tiles

Or should the first tile i lay be a random offcut too?

Last edited:
Reaction score
so I'm not doubting myself, the first tile I'll lay will be a full tile and I'll continue to lay full lengths until i get to the other end of the wall which will need to be cut short to fit

And then the second row until the end will be off cuts at the start and end, in between will be full length tiles

O

Old Mod

You’re over thinking this a little.
the best rule I find is not to have rows with joints any closer than 150mm apart.
If you follow that.
So when you lay your next row, make sure that the joint doesn’t finish any closer than 150mm to the joint in the previous row.
you can make your first tile of the row any size you like, you can always use the off cut on another row further down.
There’s no right way to do it, it’s random!
But for me if the joints on adjoining rows are too close together it can look a little odd.

B105D02F-2C4D-415E-B1F9-BCD8972825B6.jpeg

Reaction score
You’re over thinking this a little.
the best rule I find is not to have rows with joints any closer than 150mm apart.
If you follow that.
So when you lay your next row, make sure that the joint doesn’t finish any closer than 150mm to the joint in the previous row.
you can make your first tile of the row any size you like, you can always use the off cut on another row further down.
There’s no right way to do it, it’s random!
But for me if the joints on adjoining rows are too close together it can look a little odd.

View attachment 111136

I think I am! Thank you for the clarification, much appreciated

Reply to Laying plank wood effect tiles in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen