Discuss Large format tiles entire Ground floor through doorways. in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Lodger

-
Reaction score
I’m tiling a ground floor of a house approx 120m through a ground floor with 5 doorways in the hall way leading into kitchen, living room, office, W/C and reception room.
The tiles are 120 x 60 porcelain tiles 10mm thick.
My problem is going through all the doorways where I know the tiles are going to go around one or more doorways.
Those cuts would be impossible.
I have two options, either cut tiles and make them fit around the doorways and then use a coloured epoxy to mask the cut or to put some sort of contrasting tile across all the doorways from one side of the architrave to the other side of the architrave.
This would then allow me to fit the large format tiles without having to cut intricate sections.
What’s your thoughts?

Reaction score
If I understand you correctly, you should remove the architraves and skirtings, then cut the bottom of the doorframe so the tile will slide underneath, then refit archs and skirtings.
You will have to plan the layout so you will be able to lay at least two tiles in every doorway

Lodger

-
Reaction score
If I understand you correctly, you should remove the architraves and skirtings, then cut the bottom of the doorframe so the tile will slide underneath, then refit archs and skirtings.
You will have to plan the layout so you will be able to lay at least two tiles in every doorway
That’s the trouble. They want it laid brick bond so I’ll be struggling.

Reaction score
I’d put a colour matched movement joint in, right under door when closed. Makes cuts easier and there’s no chance of tiles cracking. Doorways are always weak points, a lot of screeds crack here

Reaction score
I’m sure this job is done by now, I like your idea of putting a contrasting tile the width of the door lining.
Is this what you did?

Reply to Large format tiles entire Ground floor through doorways. in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks